Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bread

by on November 27, 2009 · 12 comments

Last year’s post-Thanksgiving treat was a brownie made with leftover mashed potatoes. This year, in keeping with the “use-up-the-potatoes” theme (because aren’t there enough ways to use leftover turkey? ), I decided to do something with the leftover sweet potato casserole which I make every year for my mother – the only person at the feast who likes sweet potatoes. This bread was a great way to incorporate the leftovers into something all of us would eat. So sweet potato fan or not, I think you will like it.

sweetpotatochip

Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bread

1 scant cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato casserole (8 oz)
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (7.25 oz)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with flour-added cooking spray or grease as usual. You could also use a smaller loaf pan, but might have to adjust bake time.

Stir the sugar, oil, eggs, milk, vanilla and sweet potatoes together in a large mixing bowl.

Stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a second bowl, making sure ingredients are well-mixed. Add the flour mixture, walnuts, and chocolate chips to the sweet potato mixture and stir, without over-beating, just until the ingredients are well mixed.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Let the bread cool in the pan for about 20 minutes, then remove from pan.

Published on November 27, 2009

Katrina November 27, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I LOVE sweet potato anything. I even put some leftover casserole in my oatmeal this morning, so I would love this. I promised myself no baking today. And well, since I just did last night’s dishes at 4 p.m. today, there isn’t really time! Have a great weekend.

dawn November 27, 2009 at 6:10 pm

come see what I just did with sweet potato. it was so good. you know I’m tempted to make a loaf (like this one) with butternut squash. yes? no?

C L November 28, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Anna, your timing is perfect! :) My “assignment” for the family feast was sweet potatoes. I candied them to a fare-thee-well with butter and honey and a touch of cinnamon. Very little left but maybe just enough to bake this delicious sounding quick bread. ;)

Judith November 28, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I would be honored to have you share this recipe with my readers. I will provide a link back to your site.

Thanks in advance for considering!

Judith

JK November 30, 2009 at 10:44 am

Thanks for this post! I had a bowl of sweet potato puree left in the fridge from my sweet potato pie & I was just wondering what I should do with it!

Alton December 5, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Anna, I tried this and it was so very good. I took it to my card club and there was none left! I made it in my Wilton Lemon cake pan and it came out so great. I put some of the marshmallows in it and next time I am going to put more. I posted this as my recipe of the week on CLBB’s Sunday game of the week.

Anna December 5, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Hi Alton!

Thanks for trying it. It means a lot to me since it was kind of “experimental”. We liked it too, but it’s always good to get an objective review from another baker.

Andy December 24, 2009 at 9:21 am

I’m going to make a sweet potato marshmallow casserole (with walnuts) to bring to xmas brunch. I was thinking of adding chocolate chips and chils. Am I nuts?

Anna December 24, 2009 at 10:06 am

I think the chocolate chips might make it too dessert-like, but the chile peppers would probably be good. I’d use cayenne or chipotle powder.

Tim December 28, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Dawn,
I use sweet potatoes, yams, and most winter squashes interchangeably. I like butternut and acorn squashes both better than I do pumpkin. It works well. Trust your palate instinct.
Tim

eva November 7, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Anna,
This was a great recipe! Not too sweet and wonderful with coffee. Thanks for sharing and helping me use up my sweet potatoes.

Anna November 8, 2011 at 7:23 am

Hi Eva,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review. Have a great week!