Jumbo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

by on December 31, 2009 · 8 comments

Fuzz is enjoying the long, leisurely mornings of holiday break. Instead of rushing through a boiled egg before having to brush her teeth and pick and outfit, she gets to lounge around in her pajamas playing Webkinz and eating muffins.

Yesterday I made her a batch of these, but they didn’t go over well. She took one bite and apologized for *still* not liking banana bread. What is it with Ginsbergs and bananas? Who doesn’t like bananas? So I saved a muffin for myself and gave the rest to a friend.

banana muffin cut

Jumbo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 stick salted butter or Smart Balance, softened*******
1 scant cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour (9 oz)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semi- sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Line 6 jumbo muffin tins with liners.

Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add the eggs and beat for another minute. Stir in the bananas and buttermilk. Mix together the flour, baking powder and soda; gradually add flour mixture to banana mixture, stirring just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly among muffin tins.

Set muffins on center rack of oven and close door.

REDUCE oven heat to 375 degrees F.

Bake muffins at 375 degrees F for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs.

Makes 6

*********If using unsalted butter, add 3/8 tsp. salt

Published on December 31, 2009

Katrina December 31, 2009 at 10:05 am

My kids have been eatin’ up those chocolate banana muffins. I’m not even sure they realize there’s banana in them. I just keep asking them “who wants a chocolate muffin?” I thought they were even more moist the next day.
Happy New Year, Ginsbergs!

Kerstin December 31, 2009 at 11:42 am

Mmm, I’ll help you out with those anytime – they look yummy! Happy New Year!

Shannon December 31, 2009 at 1:55 pm

In my house, bananas rarely sit around long enough to get to the point where they’re brown and ripe for banana bread – they always get eaten first!

Natalie December 31, 2009 at 3:26 pm

these look delicious

Cal Orey January 1, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Nice photo. Good recipe. I recently used buttermilk in scones. Banana/Choco is great combo…Try 60%-70% cacao chips–kids will get used to the good chocolate early on.
Please visit me at http://calorey.blogspot.com The Writing Gourmet

CL January 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I make banana bread every week, so I’ll just ripen a couple extra so I can make these too. These look like they would freeze well, too, so that’s a plus, and they look delicious!

Katherine April 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

These muffins are awesome. I love how they have sort of a crisp outside and really tender and buttery inside. I made my muffins regular size, as I don’t have a jumbo muffin tin. I substituted white whole wheat flour and added vanilla. Will be making these the next time I have a couple ripe bananas. Thanks for a great recipe!!

Anna April 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Katherine, thanks for taking the time to write a little review. I’m so glad you liked them and that the regular size was just as good as the jumbo. I’ll have to try them with white whole wheat flour next time.