Peppermint Cake Roll

I love jelly roll type cakes, but rarely make them. I’m not sure why that is because they’re not that difficult and they accommodate so many variations. You can fill them with anything you want – flavored whipped cream, chocolate mousse, ice cream. Since I had peppermints leftover from the Sunset Peppermint Brownies, I decided to stir them into vanilla ice cream and roll them into cake form. Using this recipe from Redbook, I made what we all thought was a very good cake roll. This was our Christmas Eve dessert.

Obviously, I need some more practice making jelly roll cakes so I created a Jellyroll Cake category and filed this post there.  Maybe I’ll make another one at Easter.

peppermint log

yule log cut

Peppermint Cake Roll

1/2 cup cake flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar (divided use)
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling:
4 cups vanilla ice cream
3/4 cup crushed peppermints

Glaze:
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoon dark corn syrup
6 ounce bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Garnish with melted white chocolate if desired

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper.

Combine cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually beat in ½ cup of the granulated sugar. Beat on high speed until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Remove whites from bowl and set aside.

Add egg yolks to mixing bowl and using same beaters, beat yolks with the remaining 1/4cup sugar and extract until thickened, about 3 minutes. By hand or with lowest speed of mixer, beat in flour mixture until blended.

Fold 1/4 of beaten egg whites into mixture. Fold in remaining whites. Spread in prepared pan; smooth top. Bake 12 minutes or until top springs back when gently pressed. Let cool 2 minutes on a wire rack.

Dust a clean towel with confectioners’ sugar; invert cake onto towel. Remove pan; carefully peel off foil. Starting from the short end, roll up cake in towel; place seam side down on wire rack; cool completely.

When cake is cool, mix the vanilla ice cream with the chopped peppermint. Unroll cake and spread evenly with ice cream. Roll up cake. Wrap tightly in nonstick foil and freeze, seam side down, overnight until firm.

Make Glaze: In a small saucepan, heat cream, chocolate, and corn syrup over low heat until chocolate is melted and glaze is shiny and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in extract; cool to room temperature.

Unwrap cake; trim ends. Place cake on a wire rack over waxed paper. Pour glaze along top of cake roll, spreading with a spatula to cover sides. Garnish cake with chopped peppermint

Comments

What a great celebration roll! Ice cream sounds really great for the festive. Don’t you think it will be great if I made this for new year? I’ve already bookmarked this recipe! thankyou for sharing :)

Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!

The log shape is traditional Christmas cake called a Buche de Noel or Yule Log, but you can make a jellyroll type cake for any occasion. Maybe for New Years you could fill it with mashed up black eye peas.

Just kidding.

Hey, it looks like it turned out great and I often see cake rolls with nothing on the top. Love the extra ganache and it looks very Buche de Noel-ish!

4. HeartofGlass says

Oh gosh, that looks AMAZING–and really, really unique. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a peppermint roll, even though it seems so logical–Yule Long + Candy Cane.

I love jelly rolls, too, because it’s an excuse to eat extra frosting :)

Are you getting ‘the snow?’

5. Gloria says

Chocolate and mint together-can’t go wrong! This looks delicious. It is a perfect dessert all year round… for now as something refreshing after all the heavy meals and in the summer since it is an ice cream cake!! I’ll bet any flavor icecream would work. I’m thinking coffee or mocha right now since I need a jolt!

Lookings daring but delicious! I love peppermint everything especially at this time of year!

With love and cupcakes,
    Cookteen

P.S –check out my blog…Cookteen.blogspot.com

7. Olga says

Thank you Anna.. im so excited about the roll type cake…i think i have printed like 13 recipes.. ha ha i want to make one to practice..i still want to make the birthday one with icecream.. and for the rehearsal cake… i found this idea of a lemon curd filling im thinking i could also put pastry cream like in the golf club lemon cake :p.. i really can’t wait to try my mother in law looooves al lemony things so she would help me getting rid of it he he.. Unfortunately for my baking crabings, Im moving, everything is in my new house now but piled up in the living room so it wont be posible for me at least for another week.. i hope.