Secret Promises Cookies

by on January 29, 2010 · 23 comments

It’s a cold and windy day here in Austin, and after taking Lizzie for a long walk I was quite ready for a cup of coffee and one of these cookies. They’re so good! The recipe is a twist on a very old one from Southern Living. It’s a peanut butter cookie stuffed with Dove Promises. You could stuff them with just about any kind of chocolate, but the Promises worked especially well. They have a bit of a soft texture and won’t dry out after the cookies have cooled and set.

A couple of things I noticed along the way….

— Dough is much easier to work with on day 2
— Cinnamon added a lot of flavor, but you could leave it out and add vanilla
— Cookies spread *just* enough, which was good. I liked their overall shape

secretpromisecookie

Secret Promises Cookies

1 cup all purpose unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick (4 oz) salted butter or use 1 stick unsalted plus 3/8 tsp. salt
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter
2 large eggs
24-30 Dove Promises
Powdered sugar for dusting

No need to preheat the oven because this dough requires chilling.

Combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon; set aside.

Beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in the peanut butter, then beat in the eggs. Scrape sides and continue beating until well mixed.

By hand, stir in the flour mixture. Chill dough for a couple of hours. The longer you chill it, the easier it is to work with.

Scoop us dough using a tablespoon measure and mold dough around each Promise – cover the chocolate as best you can.

Place dough balls a couple of inches apart on foil or parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake on center rack of oven at 350 F. for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookies look done. Let cool slightly, then roll in powdered sugar.

You should get about 24-30 cookies, but I was experimenting with various sizes and don’t know the exact yield.

I liked these better after they’d cooled and set, but if you like things gooey than serve them warm.

Note: If you’d like to make smaller cookies, you can make these with milk chocolate starts. Use a rounded teaspoon of dough per star and bake for 9-11 minutes.

Published on January 29, 2010

Katrina January 29, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Yum! When I made the Molten Lava Chocolate Chip Cookies, which are my most viewed cookie, I used Dove Promises and the chocolate was melty and awesome and didn’t harden in the two hours or so the cookies lasted. Perfect chocolate for that kind of thing, if you ask me.
It’s flippin’ cold here, too.

Therese B. January 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Anna!

My daughter, Molly will LOVE these cookies. Anything chocolate and peanut
butter works! And who doesn’t love Dove Promises. I love reading the
messages on the wrappers.

It is so cold here…the cows utters have frozen.

Fallon January 29, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Mmm sounds delicious!

dawn January 29, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I love cookies filled lots of stuff inside.

Sweets at Vicky's January 29, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I love a cookie that promises bliss and more. The chocolate in the middle s a divine idea!

Clara Curtis January 29, 2010 at 9:13 pm

These look sooooo good! I love Dove chocolate anyway, but putting it inside of a cookie? Amazing. Just amazing.

Codee January 29, 2010 at 9:14 pm

All of your recipes look amazing! Thanks for sharing! :)

Mimi January 29, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I just made a batch of the crunchy chocolate chip cookies. They are everything that was promised, nice and crispy. That brings me to my question. How do I KEEP them crispy? It’s humid here so I can’t just leave them out. Will they stay crispy if I put them in a plastic storage bin?

Anna January 30, 2010 at 8:33 am

Mimi, a lot depends on the recipe. The recipe you used should stay crunchy, but you have to store them in an airtight tin. That usually works for me if I use a recipe that’s crunchy to begin with. If that fails, I sometimes keep them in the freezer. The downfall to that is you have to either eat them frozen or wait for them to come to room temp.

Lisa Ernst January 30, 2010 at 8:59 am

This looks like a perfect recipe for my taste! I’ve bookmarked it and look forward to giving it a try. LOL — I can’t imagine only eating one!

Barbara January 30, 2010 at 9:35 am

I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, but I’ve never had a Dove Promise! Are they all chocolate? Or is there caramel in it too? Either way, I bet it’s wonderful in the middle of your cookie!

Anna January 30, 2010 at 11:20 am

Barbara, they have lots of different flavors and I do believe I saw a caramel version. I chose to use dark chocolate, but milk chocolate would be good too.

joan January 31, 2010 at 10:01 am

Sweet mother of Fuzz, these were AWESOME! I made them yesterday and brought them to work last night. I just happened to have a bag of Promises lying around, left over from the after-Christmas candy sale. I used your suggestion to use vanilla flavoring instead of the cinnamon, but otherwise didn’t change a thing. I didn’t tell anyone about the secret Promise inside the cookie. I think most people were expecting a Mexican Wedding type cookie, because of the powdered sugar on the outside. But when bit into , a huge smile appeared upon the face of every taster. I think you should put these in your cookie hall of fame. Thank you so much for another fabulous recipe! You are the best!

Karen January 31, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Signed up to do coffee hour next week at church. These cookies will be a big hit, I’m sure! Cookies are my favorite dessert, so thanks for dedicating your blog to them! I’ll be back to visit. blessings on your day!

Anna January 31, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Joan, I am so happy to hear the Promises worked out for you. Glad your friends liked the cookies.

Karen, I hope you come back often. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

The Food Hunter February 1, 2010 at 4:42 pm

What a great cookie idea.

Jess April 24, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I made these last night and they were awesome!

Chelsea April 28, 2010 at 11:03 pm

These look great! I’m going to experiment with them tomorrow regardless, but I’m wondering what to expect if I use the peanut butter filled Promises? I’m baking for a massive peanut butter fan, so an overload on that isn’t much of a worry–but what is a bit of a worry is whether or not the integrity of the cookie can withstand that much…goo? Moisture, I guess, haha. I’ll see tomorrow, and report back!

Anna April 29, 2010 at 7:43 am

Hi Chelsea,

Good luck with using the Peanut Butter Promises. I think they will work just fine.

Chelsea April 30, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Peanut Butter Promises were a success! I probably could have stood to refrigerate the dough a bit longer; it was in for probably about 12-16 hours, and it was a bit sticky still. Other than that, they’re perfect! Thank you, Anna, Cookie Madness was my first (and still favorite~) baking blog. :)

Anna April 30, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Chelsea, thanks for reporting back and thanks especially for the nice compliment :). I’m glad I have readers like you.

Rina December 7, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Do you know if these cookies freeze well? Thanks.

Anna December 7, 2010 at 9:35 pm