Big Batch Oatmeal Cookies and Best Big Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip

We had people at the house yesterday so I decided to try a few new recipes – not experimental, just tried and true recipes from other people. I wanted to go with crowd pleasers and made sugar cookies, oatmeal cookies and chocolate chip.

The sugar cookie recipe wasn’t worth mentioning. Bleh. But I’m not going to say which one it was until I make it a second time.

The oatmeal cookies were from Eliana at A Chica Bakes. If you’re looking for a recipe that makes a ton of cookies, this one’s worth a try. I halved the recipe, which may explain why mine came out so much thinner. Either way, they were good. The recipe is adapted from Baking at Home with The Culinary Institute of America and I’d be interested in seeing the original recipe from the book.

ciacookies

The third cookie was Best Big Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies from allrecipes. After making them, I remembered I had made them and why I had not made them since.   They’re good, but the texture’s not my cup of tea. They’re fat and moist and almost cakey, but the “shell” of the cookie isn’t very crispy.  Still, they were the first to go. I’m not sure if it’s because people love that type of texture of if people just like chocolate chip.

best big fat chewy

As for today, I’m going to take another shot at the Calypso Crunch Cookies. Will report later.

Comments

Hi Anna! I have a small technical (?) question: Do the chocolate chip cookies harden when they cool, or within 24 hours? Or do they stay fairly soft and cakey?

2. Veronica says

Hi Anna. I made the Best big fat chewy choc. chip cookies last week for my daughter’s Valentines Day party. I made a few changes to play around with the texture since I had made these in the past and wasn’t pleased as you were. The changes I made this time was I used 1 cup all-purpose and 1 cup of Cake flour instead of 2 full cups of all-purpose. I also refridgerated the cookie dough for an hour before baking. The texture came out much better with gooey chocolate chips and no cake like taste/feel. I just wanted to share, and also to tell you that I enjoy your recipes so much! Thanks

Julie, mine weren’t around long enough for me to find out, but by the texture I can tell that they are the kind of cookies that stay reasonably moist. If you like soft, cakey cookies then this is the recipe for you.

Veronica, I chilled the dough overnight before baking. Still, I’ll have to try your cake flour sub.

4. Louise says

I like Alton Brown’s “The Chewy”. I know, it takes bread flour, but this recipe gives me the results that you describe.

They look excellent, especially the oatmeal. I posted a Martha Stewart cookie, “Torie’s Chocolate Chunk Toffee Cookie” with oatmeal and dried cherries. Your oatmeal cookie looks kind of similar, a flat cookie. I refrigerate the dough for a short while and the cookies do not bake quite as flat. Don’t know if that will help you or not. They look like my kind of cookie though!

6. Meryl says

Hey Anna,

Have you tried Thomas Keller’s chocolate chip cookies? I made them twice, and the taste and texture are excellent – crispy edges and chewy centers.

The first time I made them, I followed the instructions for part 55% and part 70% chocolate. Although I generally prefer my chocolate at a very high percentage, about 70%-74%, I didn’t like it in contrast to the sweet cookie – it tasted too bitter. So, the second time, I used all semi-sweet and I loved the results! Also, I used 2 less Tbsp of each sugar, and really liked the flavor of the basic cookie dough.

Note: These cookies spread a lot, and some ran into each other, so the second time, I did 6 cookies per large baking sheet instead of 8, as per the instructions.

Here’s the link:

Hi anna,

I’ve made those big fat cookies before, they sounded like they had so much promise but alas! I wasn’t too impressed. I’ve had much better luck with the cookies on your site! :)

I think sometimes people get a little scared of things they don’t immediately recognize. Are the big fat chocolate chip cookies buttery? I know I can’t resist a buttery chocolate chip cookie :-P

Meryl, thanks for the link to the Thomas Keller cookies. I’ve made them 2 or 3 times already. The first batch tasted good, but I didn’t like how they spread. I liked the recipe best when made with plain semi-sweet chocolate chips. They spread less that way. But yes, I liked those cookies.

I’m thinking all the fuss over those Calypso cookies is a scream. Do you really think they were that good? I realize everyone’s tastes are different and perhaps each Pulbix makes them differently (although the photos looked the same) but I didn’t think they were worth fussing over.
    On the other hand, your two “FAT” cookies in this post are definitely worth fussing over!
    And I’ve never tried Thomas Keller’s cookies, but everything else he makes is divine so I'[ll give them a try as well.

I have made that allrecipes ccc recipe and my kids liked iit pretty well. I think the cookies actually come out better if you make them smaller than the recipe states. I tend to make a different recipe each time I make ccc (same thing with banana bread, for some reason) so I don’t really have a go to recipe (at least not YET, LOL.)

Thanks, Anna! I like chewy cookies, but it bugs me if they harden–I guess I tend more towards the “cakey” end of the spectrum. I might try this one. To prevent it, I usually freeze extra cookies the day I bake them and defrost a few at a time.

13. kitty62 says

these chocolate chip cookies are the best!! i made them and they are now my go-to recipe for chocolate chip cookies. first batch i added some leftover coconut and they were fabulous!!! crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. simple put….the best in my book. thanks

14. Kathy says

I’ve tried the Calypso Crunch recipe a few times and this time they turned out real close to Publix cookie. I forgot the molasses and put in 3/4 tsp. almond extract. Both were mistakes that worked!