More Compost Cookie Goodness

Yesterday I made the famous Compost Cookie using a recipe from the Regis & Kelly site. I didn’t see the show, but readers alerted me to it since they know I like the cookies at Milk Bar.

Anyway, I thought the cookies were great yesterday, but chilling the dough for 24 hours makes them even better — mainly, thicker. This is such a good cookie and I’m so happy to be able to make these at home rather than fly thousands of miles to New York City.

Just for fun, I added a pinch of coffee grounds to one of the dough rounds. I liked the coffee grounds in Milk Bar’s version, but in today’s cookie they tasted kind of peppery and not in a good way.

Another add-in I think would work well is Heath Bars. (Update — tried it, made cookies spread).

compostcookieday2

compostcookiecross

Comments

1. Janet says

I just wanted to tell you how wonderful the Rocky Road Candy recipe is! I just pulled it out of the fridge and cut a corner off to taste….delicious! And super easy and not a lot of ingredients. Thank you for the recipe!

2. Mimi Wan says

Thanks so much for such an interesting series of posts about the Milk Bar. I made the Blueberry Cream Cookies on your recommendation. They were a big hit and now I MUST go to the Milk Bar.

Janet, glad you liked the rocky road. Hope you like the Travis Mud.

Mimi, thanks for the comment! I’m happy to hear you liked the blueberry cookies. I am going to try them again one day with fresh blueberries since the dried ones I used tasted kind of artificial.

Katrina, in the time you posted that comment you could have baked something ;). C’mon.

That’s great news (about the 24 hour chilling). I’m pretty swamped, so I like to make the dough one night and bake it the next. For this recipe I was worried the chips/pretzels would get soggy.

5. Susan says

Coffee grounds–really? The stuff left over after you brew your coffee? Not ground coffee? I just can’t wrap my head around that…

anna, i need to get a dishwasher. and i know you do a lot of dishes, so you have to know what dishwasher is best. thanks!

I went and bought some ‘junk’ food to make these cookies. I was so excited! Only to find out that I don’t have any brown sugar!!! I have no idea how the last of the brown sugar got used up and not put on the grocery list. Sigh…… Another day. My husband loves the potato chips I bought. By the time I get to the cookies I’ll have to buy more of those too. I might as well pick up another bag when I get the brown sugar.

Dawn, I emailed you my recommendation.

Sue, I do that all the time. I bought all the ingredients for the gingerbread biscotti, then realized I’d forgotten the pecans. I guess you’ll have to make a brown sugar run.

I am in New York… let me know if you want me to ship you some cookies… and you can send me some of yours, we’ll do a tasting :)

10. Fat Fudge says

I was skeptical about the coffee grounds, so I’m glad you tried it. I think I’ll try the recipe, but it’s going to be a vegan version.

Thanks for the revised recipe!

Finally got the ingredients together and made these. I wimped out and made them smaller. I weighed out 4 oz. of cookie dough and was astounded at the volume so mine were more like 2 oz. Still, these are really unique and fun cookies. With Anna’s recommendations for flour and the other tips she shared I got cookies with a really unique, but wonderful texture. I used Reese’s pieces, chocolate chips, pecans, kettle cooked potato chips, and Goldfish pretzels for my add ins.
    I definitely recommend making these using Anna’s modifications.

I followed your directions… and my first batch still ended up in the trash :( The other two I’m waiting on to see. Grrrrr….

Hi Carly,

I sent you an email and am hoping you got it. At this point, I am really curious to know why yours didn’t turn out. Maybe we can fix it.

First off, the flour. Did you use 1 cup or weigh out 4.5 oz? I’m going to assume you did since you used my revised directions.

Second, did you use chopped up chocolate instead of regular chocolate chips? Sometimes the fat in the chocolate seems out and causes cookies to spread. In fact, I tried incorporating some Heath Bar into one of my mounds of compost cookie dough and while the cookie was still good, it spread a lot more from the fat in the Heath chocolate. So in this case it’s best to stick with chocolate chips. Or at least I think.

Did you beat the egg mixture for the full 10 minutes? I have a feeling this is an important step.

It sounds like you haven’t baked all the dough yet. Maybe we could salvage what’s left if you email me back and give me and idea of anything you might have done differently.

14. cardamonbraid says

I just make the cookies to the original recipe and they came out perfect. I got EXACTLY 15 cookies using the old standard ice cream scoop and there wasn’t one that wasn’t exactly the same weight size etc……….I didn’t want to have bags of chips, pretzels etc left around the house so I took a gamble and bought 3 small lunch size 1 oz. bags and it came out to the exact quantity suggested. Just thought i’d mention that as I don’t think I saw that in previous messages……..and depending on how much you crush etc that is a variable that could change drastically just like if you weigh or measure your flour etc……….

Good point on the crushing, but crushing too much would change the flavor too. For the potato chips and crackers (for those using crackers), I think they’re best just kind of broken and not completely pulverized.

Did you happen to weigh the flour? You might use a heavier hand than some people since yours came out right. That’s not a bad thing, just a something that makes baking in America confusing since the amount of flour varies per cup depending on the way people scoop or spoon it into the cup. Glad you nailed it, though!

16. cardamonbraid says

Nope i’m a proponent of weighing as much as possible…..I have found lately though that depending on the brand of flour seems to really make a difference,,,,,,,I know I just used up some flour that no matter what I made with it and even though I weighed it, it just came out BAD…….so this time I used my old faithful and it worked…….

Yeah, brands do make a difference. Unbleached vs. Bleached makes a huge difference as well. I use unbleached all purpose Gold Medal.

I’ve been ordering cookies from this company, Gifts Couture, for over 10 years. They just launched a website where they sell their cookies, under the name Cookie Couture, and I have sent them to friends and family all over the country. They have several different types of homemade cookies and I love them all but my favorite is definitely the “chip off your shoulder” chocolate chip cookie. It’s loaded with walnuts, coconut and choc chips and i have yet to try a better cookie. It’s seriously delicious. Maybe you could order the cookie and figure out what makes it so good so we can try to make a similar cookie.

19. d says

Ok -I’ve printed this off and I’m ready for the challenge. But now I’m confused. In your notes it said the main thing is the heavier hand than average on the flour- 5.1 oz as opposed to 4.5. Are you saying that your cookies were sucessfull because you used the full 5.1? Your adapted recipe says 4.5 oz. Sorry, I just wanted to clarify so I don’t get the puddles of salty goo!!!