Chocolate Covered Coconut Eggs with a Secret Ingredient

by on April 2, 2010 · 20 comments

With Easter on the way, I thought I’d let Louise share a recipe she told me about months ago. It’s an old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe for chocolate covered coconut eggs, and the secret ingredient in the filling is potato.

From Louise

In Eastern Pennsylvania, local church ladies sometimes sell coconut eggs by the dozen as fund raisers at Easter. They’re a popular treat in that part of the country, and I have fond memories of making them (along with the peanut butter variety) with my mom.

Last year I decided it was time to try making the coconut eggs myself. I didn’t have the actual recipe on paper, but a Google search brought up this one from About.com Even though the sole reviewer had decreed them as “ABSOLUTELY INEDIBLE!”, I knew that the basic idea was right and jumped in.

Below is the adapted recipe which changes the volumes of the key ingredients and clarifies the instructions. I added my own review to the About recipe, along with my changes and hope some of you will try these and let me know what you think. I can take the criticism.

If you search for other recipes, you will also find ones that include cream cheese, but that totally changes the taste and takes away from the coconut flavor.

Coconut Easter Eggs Made with a Potato

1 medium potato (approx. 6 oz., to make 3/4 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes)
2 cups unsweetened dry coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Approx. 6 cups (1-1/2 lb.) powdered sugar
12 ounces dark chocolate plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Let the potato thoroughly cool before using. Otherwise it melts the sugar and you will use far more sugar to make a stiff mixture and end up with a much sweeter candy.

In a medium bowl, combine the cool mashed potatoes, coconut, salt, and vanilla. A hand mixer is fine.

Add the sugar a cup at a time and mix well. The first cup of sugar will draw the water from the potato. Continue adding sugar a cup at a time to taste and the mixture becomes slightly stiff. It does not have to be too dry as the coconut will absorb some of the liquid. Refrigerate overnight.

Allow to come to room temperature, then shape into eggs. A cookie scoop works well to create uniform sized pieces. Place on waxed or parchment paper.

Melt chocolate. The vegetable oil is optional but will give the chocolate a slight shine. Dip formed eggs in melted chocolate and set back on paper to harden. — To avoid pools of chocolate, my technique is to balance an egg on a fork to dip it and let it drain before placing it on the paper.

Note: I can’t seem to find what the chemistry is that makes the potato throw out it’s liquid. What I have learned is that potatoes are 75% water and 2% of the rest is nitrogen. So that’s where the water comes from, but I don’t have an explanation of why the sugar brings it out.

Published on April 2, 2010

Louise April 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I’ve since found a recipe for “Maine Potato Candy” which has the same amount of mashed potatoes but uses 4 cups of flaked coconut and 4 cups of confectioners’ sugar. The eggs I made taste pretty much like I remember them, but the next time I make them I may try increasing the coconut to 3 cups and go from there. It could also be a difference in the type of coconut. Mine is the fine shredded stuff, not the angel flakes.

Dolce April 2, 2010 at 12:18 pm

These look nice, and certainly are better than the store bought version loaded with high fructose corn syrup!

dawn April 2, 2010 at 12:22 pm

oh my gosh, a potato? i made these and loved them (a year ago), but nevr used a potato. HA! love it.

Fallon April 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I’ve had some potato coconut candy before except it wasn’t dipped in chocolate. This recipe looks really good!

Amanda April 2, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I’ve heard of potato candy too! They really look great!

Katrina April 2, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I made these a while back, too, and posted them on my blog. I’m from Idaho, and I have a cookbook that has recipes all with potato in them. I called these Almond Joy Candy, because you can stick an almond in the top before dipping them in chocolate. My recipe uses leftover (plain) mashed potatoes. You’d never know there was potato in them, they taste just like Almond Joy/Mounds Candy.

Sue April 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm

These look good and easy. How bad would they be if I were to use some sweetened coconut that I bought by mistake? It seems like I could decrease the sugar a little and it might be okay?

Louise April 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Sue – I’d try adding a lot more coconut that I did and certainly decrease the sugar. The amount of sugar required is mostly to get them to the right consistency. The type of coconut I use is the kind you’d get at a health food store so it doesn’t end up tasting like a Mounds bar. When I was a kid, we always started with a real coconut, not stuff out of a bag.

Clara Curtis April 2, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Sugar is actually what is called hydroscopic, which means that it gathers as much moisture as it can from around it. A good example of this is if you put some homemade (with the fifteen minute stirring and wahtnot) in the refrigerator for a while and it gets all goopy and soggy. The fridge provides a moist and cold environment for the food so that it doesn’t dry out. The problem is is that the sugar grabs that moisture from the cold air and takes it in, making things soggy.

When you put sugar with things like apples and, in this case, a potato, it sucks the moisture out of there and absorbs it. A lot of times, it will become a liquid itself because of how much it takes in, resulting in a juice or syrup.

I thought that this might be helpful with your question :). I don’t know why I know this stuff…

Louise April 2, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Clara — great answer on the food chemistry. Now I’ll have to research sugar and hydroscopics, just for the curiosity. Oops, I just did. Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract water molecules from the surrounding environment through either absorption or adsorption. A hydroscope is an optical device used for making observations deep under water. :-)

Erin M April 2, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I’m putting these on my mental calendar for next year. I’ve already done all the egg dipping I”m doing for 2010. My college friend from Philly used to get fudge covered potato candy in the mail from her mom. There was no coconut, but other than that it looks very similar. Happy Easter to your family!

Lynn April 3, 2010 at 9:58 am

Potato is the secret ingredient? Who would have guessed? They look beautiful.

snooky doodle April 3, 2010 at 10:41 am

oh i love chocolate and coconut. these are so yummy !

cookienurse April 3, 2010 at 11:58 am

Anna,
Do you think it would be OK to use potato flakes (the kind used for instant mashed potatoes)?
Thanks for the recipe, Happy Easter!

Tracy April 3, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Wow, potato. I never would have thought that would have worked.

Just got done with peanut butter eggs. Maybe I try the coconut next year — my older son loves Almond Joys.

Louise April 4, 2010 at 10:02 am

Tracy — If you’re looking for the Almond Joy taste for your son, I think you want to go with Katrina’s recipe as these definitely don’t taste like either Mounds or Almond Joy.

CookieNurse — Potato flakes would change the whole chemistry of what happens with the sugar, but I can’t say it wouldn’t work. I’ll send an email to my cousin who makes a rolled up peanut butter potato candy at Christmas and see if she ever tried it.

Katrina April 4, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I thought mine taste almost just like Almond Joy/Mound candy.

Marji April 7, 2010 at 11:03 am

The other name for this candy in Maine is “Needhams”.

Martine December 2, 2010 at 10:24 am

So because you use a potato this would be a good gluten free receipe, right?

Terri April 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for sharing your potato recipe! I think this is a great idea and accommodates people with allergies to gluten and dairy, like me! I saw other recipes for coconut eggs but they had butter and cream cheese which doesn’t work for me.