Chocodile Bars

by on April 23, 2010 · 17 comments

Today’s cookie, another recipe from the old Bake-Off book, was “Chocodile Bars”. It’s a cookie with a firm peanut butter base and a topping made with melted chocolate, peanut butter, and a cereal called Corn Soya which I’d never heard of and had to look up on Mr. Breakfast. It sounds kind of good, but I guess it wasn’t good enough because it no longer exists and I had to use Rice Krispies.

Aside from the Rice Krispies, I made the recipe as written but halved it and baked it in a 9 inch pan. I think my crust was a little too thick and I have a feeling actual Corn Soya (I wish I could go back in time and get some) would have given more character to this bar. But still, the bars weren’t bad. I just think mine could have been a little peanuttier, so I’m going to try a second version soon.

Recipe Goldmine published a Chocodile Bars recipe which is pretty much the same as the original and the one I made today. Oh, and please ignore the white part. That was an experiment involving marshmallow creme and I shouldn’t have featured the experimental bar in the photo but it was good and all you do is put marshmallow creme on the hot base, then pour some of the topping on that.

Also, if you’ve ever eaten Corn Soya, I’d like to know about it. Specifically, what modern cereal would be most like it in texture and flavor? Corn Flakes? Thank you.

chocodiles

Published on April 23, 2010

Mary Beth April 23, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I’ve never eaten Corn Soya, but from the pictures it looks a little like Fiber One. Maybe you could try that one next time?

Katrina April 23, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Hmm, I just looked around and was picturing after just hearing the name Corn Soya the one called Corn Bran, from Quaker, which I THINK still exists. Those would make for bumpier-crocodile looking bars. ;)

Louise April 23, 2010 at 3:35 pm

My husband loves cereal and keeps no fewer than 13 boxes in his working cereal collection. He has no recollection of Kellogg’s Corn Soya. I showed him the ads and still nothing. It certainly looks like All Bran made from corn and soy. I think next time you should try corn flakes.

justine April 23, 2010 at 3:54 pm

These look so tasty- maybe because peanut butter and chocolate if an infallible combination!

Martha in KS April 23, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I found some pix of Corn Soya ads and it looks like chinese noodles, which makes sense because I found a reference to making “haystacks” with this cereal.

Anna April 23, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Here’s a good picture of it. It looks like All Bran but with the flavor of Corn Flakes and protein from soy. I’d totally buy that cereal.

Laura E. April 23, 2010 at 6:01 pm

All the twig cereal seems to be made of bran these days but for taste maybe try corn puffs?

marjie April 25, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I have made these a million times..they are my my kids favorite. MY recipe calls for corn flakes! Very yummy addicting bars. I make half with peanut butter choc chips and corn flakes..and the other half with peanut butter butterscotch chips and corn flakes….WE love them both ….YUM!

Anna April 25, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Laura, corn puffs would work too. The bars would have an interesting shaped top, to be sure. I’d probably go with Kix.

Marjie, thanks! I liked them too. I wish I’d served them to more people for second opinions. The Rice Krispies were good, but corn cereal would have been better.

By the way, did anyone notice I called them “Crocodile Bars” instead of “Chocodile Bars”? That wasn’t on purpose. I kept thinking Chocodile but typing Crocodile.

Faine April 26, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Any relation to the chocolate-covered Twinkies of olden days? Madness. These look scrumptious.

I understand why Corn Soya went under. Not a yummy sounding name.

Asia Jo April 27, 2010 at 11:49 am

I would love to grab one of those cookies now :) They look so yummy and that marshmallow creme adds a lot to an arty presentation of your cookies :)

marjie May 4, 2010 at 9:35 pm

On looking again my recipe is different. I got it out of the Pillsbury family cookbook I got over 30 years ago. My recipe is a winner and loved by TEENAGERS especially, is as follows:

Chocodiles
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening (I always use butter instead)
1/3 cup peanut butter crunchy or creamy
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350*. In large bowl combine first six ingredients, blend well. Stir in flour and salt, mix well. Press dough into ungreased 15×10 inch jelly roll pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool slightly. Spread crunch topping over crust. Cool slightly cut into bars and then Cool completely.

Chocolate Crunch Topping

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups slightly crushed corn flakes cereal

In medium pan over low heat melt chocolate chips. Stir in peanut butter and corn flakes. Spread over slightly cooled crust.
* i usually make half the crunch topping with butterscotch chips to cover one half of the pan and chocolate chips for the other half.

Anna May 4, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Marjie, thanks for posting your version. I am sure I will like yours better since it uses less flour. I’m also glad to see yours calls for butter.

The version I tried wasn’t bad, it just seemed a little dry and not quite peanutty enough. Yours looks perfect!

Cathy August 11, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I am so excited to find this Chocodile recipe! My sister and her family will be in town this weekend and I wanted to make them for her. This is my mother’s recipe – she won the Jr. Division of the Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1957 with these Chocodiles. She explains the Corn Soya as having the flavor of corn flakes and the texture of All-Bran. She chooses to make them with corn flakes. I’m heading to the kitchen to make them right now . . . :)

Linda July 17, 2011 at 2:29 pm

My recipe is one my neighbor gave me 45 years ago. It calls for Corn Flakes. Very delicious

Julie kuhn August 23, 2011 at 9:24 am

I’ve made these cookies for years and have eaten them for over 40 years. My mom always make them with cornflakes, never rice krispies.

Holly October 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm

My mother has made those for… 30+ years? But in a modified version. She always used Rice Crispies in them, though the older version of Rice Crispies (AKA the “new” Gluten Free Rice Krispies) have more substance and make a better bar. She also made some alterations to the base recipe with butter and less flour. ;-)

They’re a family Christmas favorite.