Deluxe Triple-Chocolate Cookies

by on April 20, 2010 · 18 comments

My friend Amy and a handful of other bloggers were invited to the Pillsbury Bake-Off. They had a great time and shared their experiences, mostly positive but with a few criticisms – 0ne being that very few recipes were from scratch. It’s a good point, and as the Bake-off evolves and changes with the times, maybe we’ll see a resurgence in scratch baking and Bake-Off will continue to add “flour” to their list of eligible ingredients.

But back to Bake-off #44, Amy counted 5 finalists who used flour as a primary ingredient, and highlighted 3 of them. She wrote about a rich peanut butter cupcake, a chocolate scone that was almost brownie-like, and a chocolate  cookie with an interesting combination of ingredients.  Because Amy recommended them, I made a batch of the “Deluxe Triple-Chocolate Cookies” this morning. My review is after the jump.

Triple Chocolate Cookies

My big worry was that they’d be a waste of good Nutella. I’ve baked it into a few desserts with mixed results. Sometimes it’s detectable, but sometimes you can hardly taste it. In this case, the Nutella flavor was mixed in with so many other flavors I really didn’t taste it, but I suppose the Nutella’s consistency gave the cookies the texture that Amy liked.   Mine were slightly crisp on the outside and very chewy.  If I’d baked them longer, they might have been a little crisper.

An even more unusual ingredient was the cocoa powder, Hershey’s Good Night brand to be exact. It sounds like an odd addition, but the drink mix type cocoa powder does have dried milk in it, which probably helped give the cookies some chewiness as well.  That and milk chocolate flavor.

Speaking of which, there were so many flavors in this cookie!  I kind of wish I could have tasted each one, but in this case they all combined to make one unique flavor that I’d call milk chocolate peanut butter.  I’d be interested to hear your opinions on the recipe.

People on Pillsbury’s website loved these.

Published on April 20, 2010

Katrina April 20, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I think Pillsbury should have two separate bake-offs. One with all their pre-made products and one for only homemade, from-scratch recipes. Just a thought.
That is a fun recipe format.
And I totally agree, I have a hard time using Nutella when it’s baked in something because I’d rather have it plain on a spoon or spread on something. That said, I made some Soft Nutella Peanut Butter Cookies over the holidays from Amanda’s Cookin’ that were fantastic and the Nutella taste came through. I added extra Nutella and cut the pb in her recipe. They were great soft/chewy cookies and I had many people rave about them who got to taste them.

Pam April 20, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I have noticed over the years that the BakeOff has changed it’s emphasis from made from scratch to using more of their convenience products. I suppose this makes sense from a marketing standpoint since they want to sell their products, but as a baker, I wish more credit was given to those of us who like to create original recipes. I like Katrina’s suggestion of 2 different competitions or 2 different categories.

Amy April 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Your cookies look great! I hope you liked the cookies as much as I did. I only tried them warm and thought they were very good. I think the new recipe format is nice, it’s very succinct and visually appealing.

Barbara April 20, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I know the point is to use Pillsbury products and back in the days when I was raising my kids, I often liked shortcut recipes; I used to collect the Bake-Off booklets.
But I agree that now I like things from scratch and would much prefer items starting with flour. Two separate contests would be a great idea!

melissa April 20, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I like that recipe layout. Thanks for the link!

Cindy April 21, 2010 at 5:29 am

I don’t care for the new recipe layout. If I want to copy a recipe to add to my “Make This” list it goes nuts and I have to do a lot of reformatting.

Recipe sounds interesting although I like to bake “from scratch” – especially cookies.

Amanda April 21, 2010 at 6:36 am

Hey love the new look of your blog and thanks for featuring me on your side bar! SMOOOOOCH!! :-D

These sounds fabulous. Anything with massive amounts of chocolate is good in my book LOL :)

Anna April 21, 2010 at 7:38 am

Cindy, it souns like you and I use the same method of copying recipes. I’m not going to use this layout permanently, but I thought it was kind of neat.

Sheila in MD April 21, 2010 at 7:46 am

I didn’t care for the new recipe format either…I printed it and it was 2 pages…to me, a recipe that length should not be two. I tried to cut and paste in Word and yes, formatting was a mess. But I do love your blog:-).

LinC April 21, 2010 at 7:54 am

Love the cookie ingredients! I could see the picture of the cookie, but the recipe block didn’t display in my browser at all (IE 8). Please go back to regular text.

Tanis April 21, 2010 at 10:38 am

I love the Nutella, but like you would like to actually taste it. Do you have any recipes with it?

On the new format, I guess I could get used to it, no one usually likes change, but I do actually prefer your previous recipe format. Just my opinion. Keep on keeping on.

Michelle April 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm

It doesn’t even seem like real cooking unless you make it from scratch, just dumping and mixing. . . not that that’s bad. I dump and mix too, but still it doesn’t ahve the same art as cooking.

kara April 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm

These look good Anna. Fyi, the new website format doesn’t display well on my phone browser. I look at your website via phone every day and haven’t been able to look at it since the change :(

TBSP Eric April 21, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Hello All – I work on Tablespoon.com and helped build the recipe template that Anna used in this post. We really appreciate all of the feedback on the recipe format. We built it to help bloggers like Cookie Exchange have a standard format, and make it easier for readers to share and print recipes.

Sounds like we’ve got a couple things to work on.

1. Internet Explorer 8 – Sorry that is not displaying for you. We’re going to test this and make sure that it works in IE8.

2. Print too long – We’re going to remove nutritional info so the print page is much shorter. We agree – printing two pages is too much for a short recipe.

3. Width of template – We hear you on this. We’re going to look into making options with different widths. We made the width smaller so it would fit in all blogs, but it does get really long on a blog like Cookie Exchange.

4. Cut and paste – We wish we could figure out a way to make this easier, but it’s a bit out of our technical control. If you’re looking for a better version, you could cut and paste it from the print page or from the recipe on Tablespoon.

Again, thanks for all the feedback. It’s really great to hear what you like and don’t like. Feel free to give us more feedback here or over at our blog on Tablespoon.

TBSP Eric

Anna April 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Eric, thanks for listening and responding to the feedback.

Speaking of templates, Kara — I will work on the phone issue. Thanks for letting me know!

Marianne April 22, 2010 at 9:56 pm

My husband just made these cookies, so good! It’s a keeper (the recipe and my hubby!!)

Sheri April 23, 2010 at 4:48 pm
Sheri April 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm

ops, ignore my post above