Airline Pilot Oatmeal Cookies

Last year a Washington newspaper posted an article about an Alaska Airlines pilot who baked oatmeal cookies for his crew. Now every time I see Alaska Airlines (which is often because they have a route from here to San Jose called The Nerd Bird) I think of cookies.

Yesterday I was thinking about Hawaii, saw there was a route to Maui on Alaska Airlines, then got distracted by thoughts of oatmeal cookies. To nip this problem in the bud, I decided to bake some today and went looking for the old article about the cookie baking pilot. Sadly, it was archived and the newspaper said I had to pay to see it. Luckily Katrina posted the recipe shortly after it came out, and I pulled it from her. She’d made modifications, so I un-modified her modifications and I think the recipe is closer to what it was in the article.

So how are the cookies….???

Oatmeal Cookies

They’re pretty good. The recipe has a high ratio of sugar to butter and flour, but the extra nuts and oats buffer it so the cookies aren’t cloying. They are sweet, though.  And chewy. If you like chewy cookies with lots of spice, this recipe is a good bet. Just don’t leave out the nuts.

Alaska Airlines Pilot Oatmeal Cookies

4 oz unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar (I used light)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, fluffed and scooped
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, decrease to 1/4)
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, crushed finely (I used pecans)
1 cup walnuts, toasted, barely chopped (Again, pecans)
1 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter and both sugars until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well.

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix thorougly. Add oats, raisins, nuts and stir to combine. Shape into 2 dozen balls. Bake on parchment lined baking sheets for 11-13 minutes.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies, depending on size.

Comments

What? I modified a recipe? No way. ;)
    I’m glad I left the pilot’s recipe as written and just added my changes so you could find the real thing! Now you’re making me want these again. Oh wait, I just made cowboy cookies yesterday, that are fabulous (Full of toffee, pecans and chocolate!). Better go eat lunch first.

2. Tina from PA says

Love your blog ! Ireally don’t know how I got here but ,glad I did .I’m just crazy about cookies ,my favorite thing to bake ! Keep up the great blog I’m sure I’ll be back often!

well isn’t that nice of him? i love nothing more than a man making cookies. maybe i love it so much because my hubby cannot boil water. but, bless his heart, he knows how to take me out to dinner pretty darn well. ha!

remember that show ‘how to boil water’? on food tv? i kind of liked it. i miss gale gand most though.
    i know, i always go on and on when i leave a post. but you love it… :-)
    happy mothers day anna! i hope you get spoiled!!

5. Amanda says

katrina? Making modifications?? NO WAY! LMAO – the cookies look great! (Just teasin’ Katrina dear)

6. C L says

So glad you found this recipe again! I thought of these too the other day…went searching for my copy of it and alas and alack, it was not to be found! Anna to the rescue! ;) This is a tasty cookie and a real favorite with the crew at work…although what cookies aren’t with those cookie hounds? LOL ;) Anyway, thank you for posting a gem of a recipe again, Anna! :)

Thanks for all the comments!

Dawn, Todd says he can’t boil water but it’s a big act. He made a whole sushi dinner one time and it was great! The next day he forgot how to boil water again and hasn’t remembered how to do it since.

It sounds like a few people have made this recipe (not just Katrina and the pilot) and liked it. I will add that the person who sampled these for me yesterday said they were the best oatmeal cookie she’d ever eaten. How is that for a review???

How weird, I was looking at that recipe just this weekend. It’s in my stack of “To Be Baked” recipes. I didn’t have enough walnuts on hand though. They are on my grocery list now, and I’ll make these soon. I love oatmeal cookies!

9. Debbie says

Anna – I made the cookies today and they are FABULOUS!! Thanks for an amazing recipe.

10. Amy says

Ive made these twice, and both times has been a stunning success! I use pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and dried cranberries ^^ and also throw in 1 tbsp of flax seeds (yummmmmmm). Thank you so much for an awesome recipe!