Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies with Wheat Germ — An Awesome Recipe

by on June 1, 2010 · 21 comments

I chose today’s recipe because I wanted to use up some toasted wheat germ. Based on how good they were, it looks like toasted wheat germ will become a staple. I may never try another oatmeal cookie recipe again!

Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies

I’ve baked cookies with wheat germ before, but it’s been a while. And frankly, whatever I baked before – well, these are better (keeping in mind I love crunchy cookies). What I liked about these were that they were crunchy, yet light….almost as if they’d been made with shortening, though they’re all-butter. Mine were a fairly substantial thickness, but not puffy or in any way chewy. As for flavor, you’ll taste the wheat germ, oats, cinnamon, butter and pecans in every bite. These cookies were so good I’d put them in my Top 10, though I should probably make them again before I commit to that. Maybe it was just my lucky day.

The recipe was adapted from was from Martha Stewart, but the original didn’t have any salt or cinnamon. I also used Eagle Mills Ultra Grain flour, but you can use any all purpose or white whole wheat.

Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies

1 stick unsalted butter, cool room temperature (4 oz)
1/2 cup very firly packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Ultra-grain flour or all purpose
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup toasted pecans, chopped
1/3 cup mixed golden and regular raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix to combine. Mix in vanilla; set aside.

Combine flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and stir until mixed. Stir in the oats, followed by the pecans and raisins.

Using a heaping tablespoon measure, shape dough into 24 mounds drop dough onto prepared sheets, about 2 inches apart OR press the mounds down slightly, seal them in a zipper bag and bake them as needed.

Bake until golden and just set, about 13-15 minutes (You might want to check at 12 if you oven runs hot.

Makes 22-24 cookies

Published on June 1, 2010

Susan June 1, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Oh boy..you had me at crunchy!!
BTW, Anna, what’s ultra grain flour? Is that something mostly found in the south?

Cookie Sleuth June 1, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Thanks for sharing! I recently tried a wheat germ chocolate chip cookie at a bakery and wanted to recreate something like it.

Sue June 1, 2010 at 1:56 pm

These sound great! I wonder how long it would take me to use up a box of wheat germ?

Katrina June 1, 2010 at 1:58 pm

That is some oatmeal cookie lovin’ if you think it’s your new ultimate and in your top 10! Crunchy is not my fave, but my dad always loved it when we’d overbake cookies just for him because he likes them crunchy.

Anna June 1, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Sue, I’ve been buying mine in bulk.

Anna June 1, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Susan, I’ve been using it for a couple of years now and really like it. I don’t use it exclusively or anything like that, but if I’m making myself a snack or muffins for the family, I like to add the whole grains. But overall, the Ultra-grain works just like regular flour. It’s a bit dryer so it soaks up a tad bit more moisture, but that’s about it. I buy it at the regular grocery store. If yours doesn’t sell it, just Google it and see if you can buy it from their website or Amazon. I think you’d have fun with it.

Katrina June 1, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I just checked and mine is a 5 lb. bag of Eagle Mills Ultra-Grain Flour, bought at the regular grocery store. It’s white whole wheat flour.
I’ve never seen it in bulk. That’s cool.

Cakelaw June 1, 2010 at 7:25 pm

These look fab! I like raisins in my cookies – I don’t care what anyone says.

Barbara June 2, 2010 at 8:38 am

I have a jar of wheat germ just waiting for a recipe like this!
However, I have never heard of ultra grain flour. Will check Whole Foods for it, if anyone has it, they will. I love cookies that claim to be healthy too!

melissa June 2, 2010 at 9:51 am

I used to use wheat germ all the time when J was a baby — I’d roll his cream cheese balls, banana, and whatever else in it. You make me want to try it again — I’ve always liked the flavor and crunch of it, AND it’s good for you! Thanks for this recipe.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) June 2, 2010 at 10:47 am

I haven’t used wheat germ in awhile but I’m always trying to creatively incorporate it into recipes…this is PERFECT and I can’t wait to make it. Now I’m cursing myself for not buying raisins last night!

Benthe June 2, 2010 at 11:20 am

I’ve never aten oatmeal before. Kind of curious right now, because they look yummy!

Laura E. June 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I can only find King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour around here. Do you like Eagle Mills Ultra Grain flour better?

Anna June 2, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Laura, KA’s White Whole Wheat is great! I alternate between the two brands.

Anna June 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Natalie, I hope you like the cookies. Remember, they’re crunchy!

Chere Michelle June 2, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Ok….cookies are my WEAKNESS. I try so hard to eat well and healthy and then cookies walk on in…but seriously love idea of the toasted wheat germ, I’ve got wheat germ around and will try these this weekend. Could probably add other things like cranberries or chocolate chips for variety? Thanks! Lovely looking blog and so far, fantastic posts.
Chere Michelle

Cora February 18, 2011 at 11:33 am

These are indeed very nice. I like crunchy cookies too. The taste of the toasted wheat germ makes them special. I did not add cinnamon as we are not great fans in our house for spice. I would also use less sugar next time because they are a little too sweet. I will try adding only the brown sugar.

Bunnie Girl March 15, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Anna, why do I ever bother looking elsewhere for recipes? Yours have NEVER failed me. Amazing idea with the wheat germ. As you know I use smart balance butter substitute and my coconut palm sugar crystals in replacement of reg sugars. The cookie has crunch depending on how long your choose to bake it, you can also have a chewy center if you desire. Really out of the ballpark again! (your Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip has revolutionized my life. NOT KIDDING) This one…is now also in my top 10…but it is actually my 2nd! Thanks so much …oh and thanks a million for encouraging me to always toast or roast the nuts. Makes all the difference in the world. I puffy heart you! Bunnie

Diana May 10, 2011 at 7:39 am

Let out the raIsins…added chocolate chips and coconut. AMAZING!

troy September 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Replaced flour with powdered flax seed for the ultimate crunchy/chewy experience

Jacqueline July 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I just made these using whole wheat flour. I did not know for sure what ultra grain flour was. They taste very healthy. I am taking them to a family reunion. The family always expects something healthy from me.