Fresh Blueberry Muffins

I love making muffins for Fuzz, but she’s picky about texture and doestn’t love chunks of fruit in her muffins. Something must have changed, because a few days ago she told me her new favorite muffin was blueberry. I think maybe someone slipped her some box-mix muffins where the tiny canned blueberries add flavor and color but not texture. Gateway blueberry muffins…. Now I could get her interested in the real thing.

blueberry muffins

Blueberries have been on sale lately, so yesteray I made some fresh blueberry muffins for Fuzz. As a starting point, I used Marcy Goldman’s famous Lawsuit Muffins. Marcy offers all kinds of variations and includes a streusel topping, but I pared things down a little and made the muffins using Marcy’s ratios, but without the streusel, cinnamon or citrus and with a mix of brown sugar and granulated.

These muffins rose fairly high, had crispy edges, a dense texture, and a rich brown sugar flavor that made them different than your usual blueberry muffin. They were very good and I’d make them again for friends. I also think this recipe would make a great base for peach muffins…maybe with a little cinnamon?

Blueberry Muffins

2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (11.25 oz)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 scant teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 scant cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh blueberries, frozen**

Adjust rack to upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 11 muffin cups with paper liners or spray with baking spray

Stir flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
In another mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and buttermilk.  Gently stir the flour mixture into the liquid mixture. When halfway mixed, add the frozen blueberries and stir just until blended. The batter will be thick. It reminded me of chocolate chip cookie dough, but runnier.

Spoon into cups, heaping as much as you can into the center. Bake for 20 minutes at 400, then reduce heat to 350 F and bake until done – about 10-12 minutes. To check for doneness, stick a toothpick in the center and make sure it comes out clean. Let muffins sit in the pan for about 5 minutes, then carefully remove

Makes 11 muffins.

**Freezing the blueberries helps keep them from bleeding into the batter.

Comments

ok i love muffins that rise nice & high.
    anna do you have a apricot crumb cake recipe, one that i think is made w/ shortbread crust by chance? lol did you do the alton brown muffins yet?

2. Claudia says

Isn’t it nice when your kids discover they actually like a food they’d previously didn’t?! My son recently tried fresh blackberries at a potluck dinner and announced he loved them (before he wouldn’t eat them). Ahhh, signs of maturity. BTW, our favorite blueberry muffins are made using Lee Bailey’s blueberry buckle recipe. I made some yesterday as part of my 5 dozen muffin/5+ dozen cookie baking spree for our upcoming beach vacation!

3. C L says

It’s nice to know I am not the only picky muffin eater. :) I am not fond of large blueberries in muffins, or raisins and chocolate being together. I like the flavor of fruit in muffins, just not the texture of fruit chunks. These muffins do look tasty, though. Perhaps an exception will be made for these gems. ;) I should take a leave from Fuzz’s lead and be willing to be more adventurous with food. :)

Shannon, I hardly ever butter muffins. I think it’s because I tend to pick muffins that are already kind of rich and don’t seem to need it. I’m sure if I started buttering them I’d get used to it ;).

Maybe it just takes some getting used to. What’s funny about Fuzz is she’s picky about muffin textures (less so now, I guess), but the most adventurous eater in the family. She’ll gobble down things like wild hare and quail eggs, but raisins in muffins??? Forget about it.

6. Katherine says

I made these this morning. Great muffins and easy. I did not freeze the blueberries. The only thing I would change is the time and temperature. Mine were getting too done on top so I dropped the temp to 350 before the 20 mins. They ended up kind of sinking in the middle. However, I did just get a new oven and it may run hot.