German Chocolate Chip Cookie

by on June 9, 2010 · 31 comments

We’re on our way back from Disney World, where I was inspired by all the sweet treats. Rather than list them all, for now I will tell you my absolute favorite so far — The German Chocolate Chip Cookie from Goofy’s Candy Company in Downtown Disney.

Disney German Chocolate Cookie

I knew from prior cookie searches that Goofy’s often carries some terrific baked goods. Next to Writers’ Stop and Starring Rolls Cafe in Disney Studios, Goofy’s Candy Company is my third favorite spot for cookies. So I knew I’d find something good, but I underestimated just how good that cookie would be.

Like the other cookies in Goofy’s Candy Company, the German Chocolate Chip cookie is a huge, fat cookie big enough to share between two or three people….not that you have to. Along with being oversized, they look kind of rough and dry. A skeptic might think they are better looking than tasting, but if you get one fresh as I must have done today, you will be rewarded with a dry-shelled, tender and soft, slightly underbaked on the inside cookie packed with flavor. In this cookie’s case, there was a light chocolate flavor, big chunks of chocolate chips, brown sugar, and a topping designed to mimic what you get on a German Chocolate Cake, but richer and less sweet.

I believe that at one point the Disney Cookies were provided by Las Vegas based Selma’s, but I’m not sure they are anymore. Aside from the Rice Krispy treats which carry the Selma’s logo, most of the cookies are just branded Disney, if at all.

So if you find yourself in Goofy’s Candy Company, think “cookies” and not just candy. And let me know what you think. In the meantime, I’ll be posting a clone recipe for the German Chocolate Chip Cookie. A friend and CM reader who liked the cookies as much as I did, developed one recently and now I can’t wait to try her recipe.

Published on June 9, 2010

Janice June 9, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Oh Anna!!!!
I almost leapt through my screen!
My fav. cookie ever!!!!
Now I have to go downstairs and make a batch!!
BTW, I mad a batch of ANZACS using Sahale Snacks Sing Buri mix and they are so tasty!
Can’t wait to hear about the trip AND the food!!
…and how it was going vegan @ WDW

Louise June 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I’ll be very interested in trying the GCCC clone. I’ll never have the real thing, but I can still decide if it’s a good or bad cookie. And I’m looking forward to a trip report and photos.

Anna June 9, 2010 at 4:51 pm

It was a fun trip! I am a little anxious to get back to my kitchen, though.

Anna June 9, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Janice, thanks for suggesting the German Chocolate Chip Cookie. I might not have tried it otherwise.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I love soft centered cookies. Those look delish! I’ll have to try some when I get to Disney someday. :)

Jenn

Ali June 9, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Janice, what chocolate chip cooke recipe do you use?

Anna, I just teared up a little that was my favorite cookie when lived in Orlando (now I am in San Antonio). I am happy to hear that they sell it other places besides Germany at Epcot.

Tiffany June 9, 2010 at 7:00 pm

We just got back from Disney and my husband got one of those cookies in the Main Street Bakery in Magic Kingdom. I was skeptical, but it tasted fantastic. Not dry at all. Can’t wait to see the recipe you’ve come up with!

Lisa Ernst June 10, 2010 at 5:53 am

This looks phenomenal! I just went to the Disney Food blog where there were several photos of the cookie sliced open. This is my kind of cookie when I’m in the mood to indulge, and I can’t wait to see your clone.

Anna June 10, 2010 at 6:40 am

Ali, I need to do some more research and see if the cookies are still made by Selma’s or if Disney makes them at their own bakery. They are so good. What I have noticed is that they are better when fresh.

shelly (cookies and cups) June 10, 2010 at 6:41 am

oooh, these cookies sound amazing! I would have never thought to do that ~ that Goofy’s a genius!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie June 10, 2010 at 7:54 am

WOW! That is an awesome cookie! Can’t wait to see the clone recipe! I’ve never been to Disney World but have always wanted to! I think I’d go just for the cookies and treats alone :).

Katrina June 10, 2010 at 8:14 am

When we were in SF with Rina, at Elizabeth Faulkner’s place, wasn’t there a German chocolate chip cookie there? I think I bought one. Then I left the cookies I bought in her car. Sigh.
The Disney one looks yummy. Glad your trip was delicious. ;)

Kimmie R June 10, 2010 at 8:43 am

That cookie looks WONDERFUL, I can not wait to see the recipe. German Chocolate cake is my favorite. Please post the recipe as soon as you get it and try it out!

Sue June 10, 2010 at 10:21 am

That looks like an awesome cookie! I’m glad to hear that you had a good trip. Can’t wait to hear how Fuzz’s friend the vegan fared, and to read about your GCC clone!

Sue June 10, 2010 at 10:27 am

I just went to AJ’s Disney Food Blog and that cookie looks incredible. I hope Janice shares her recipe here!!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 10, 2010 at 11:53 am

My husband’s favorite cake is German Chocolate, so I’d love to try to make these cookies! Can’t wait for a clone recipe!

Katherine June 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Oh this looks sooo good! Think you can create a copycat?!

Dawn C. June 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm

AH! And now I can’t wait to see how your recipe comes out! Hurry up! :) heehe

Karen June 10, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Can’t wait to hear about the trip – Did you go to the Harry Potter park????

C L June 10, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I really look forward to trying your recipe. :) My uncle’s very favorite cake is German Chocolate so I can hardly wait to surprise him with a batch of these scrumptious-looking cookies! :)

Anna June 11, 2010 at 6:51 am

Karen, no we didn’t. We only went to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney Studios and Downtown Disney. We’ll have to see the HP park on our next vision.

Anna June 11, 2010 at 6:52 am

Katherine, Janice already did! I’m going to buy the ingredients and give it a try.

Nick June 13, 2010 at 6:19 am

Anna, when I was there in May 2010, they were still being sold as Selma’s GCCC, along with the Carrot Cake Cookies. Have been trying to replicate the recipe, but to no avail. Returning in September to see if anyone at WDW has the recipe.

Laura June 13, 2010 at 4:45 pm

OMG. I’ve never seen those at Disney. I’ll have to look the next time we go. I can’t wait for the copcat recipe.

Anna June 13, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Nick, yes — they are Selma’s….as are all the Minnie’s kitchen cookies. I spent today trying out various clones.

joan June 14, 2010 at 11:53 am

Wow, Judging from the size, it almost looks like a Levain cookie clone topped off with German chocolate cake topping. Was the inside cookie-dough gooey like the Levain cookie? My favorite German chocolate cake filling is from “Inside out German Chocolate Cake,” an old recipe from Gourmet, but still available on Epicurious. It uses Dulce de Leche for the base, with pecans & toasted coconut mixed in. The original recipe makes the Dulce de Leche from scratch, but it’s so much faster to just buy it already made, and just as good, in my opinion.

Nick June 15, 2010 at 4:00 am

The density of the cookies are almost cake-like, not just plain cookie texture. Most of the chefs at Disney will give you their recipes; so I wonder if either a) Disney has the recipe, or b) Selma’s cookies will give the recipe since they are not sold on their website…worth a shot.

ROSEANNA July 27, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Does anyone know when the recipe will be posted or if it already has, where I can find it?

Thank you!

laura moreno October 20, 2010 at 1:38 pm

we just returned from disney world(october 11th)in orlando, florida. tried this cookie at magic kingdom (the bakery as soon as you walk into the park) and then again at down town disney. we asked an associate at the goofy candy co. how they make them and they said that they get them fresh every single morning from selma’s. they said that you can order them and they ship internationally (selma’s). i wasn’t able to find them on the website, and their phone number doesn’t work from canada, so I’ve tried emailing to see if i can special order them. has anyone had any luck ordering these? i want to get them for my husband’s birthday!

Betty Pickering March 26, 2011 at 10:59 am

Have you ever put a German Chocolate Chip Cookie clone recipe on the site? I looked for one but didn’t find it. I’d love to try making them.

Anna March 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Betty, I never got the Disney one right. Still trying.