Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Fuzz is home for the summer and we’re kicking it off with a trip to Disney World. This year we’re taking an extra kid. Fuzz’s buddy Anevay will be seeing The Happiest Place on Earth for the first time.  It’s going to be a learning experience in a lot of ways. One of which is that Anevay is a vegan, and we’re going to learn the ins-and-outs of eating vegan at Disney.   So far, I’m not too worried because I found out that if you call a special number, Disney will send you a “Dietary Request Form” which you email back and which they will email to the chefs at the restaurants where you plan to eat. I’m looking forward to letting you know how this process works.

Okay, that was a long introduction but I felt like it was necessary to fill you in. Plus, it’s the reason I’ve been making these vegan cookies. Anevay loves them, and I like making them because I can whip them up in about 2 minutes using a bowl and spoon. This recipe is from Dreena Burton, and these cookies are a good example of the other types of recipes she has in her books — delicious, uncomplicated, and wholesome. Here’s the original recipe for Dreena Burton’s Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Mine look a little different because I’ve been halving the recipe and varying the proportions of oil and syrup slightly, but they’re still great.

Comments

1. CindyD says

Have fun at DW! Our 9 year old granddaughter in Houston finishes school tomorrow and flies here by herself on Sunday for two weeks and we’re heading the the Grand Canyon next weekend. Since it’s too hot to bake we’ll be making Rice Krispies treats, etc.

These look good, and I always like to find new vegan recipes. Of course, I’d triple the amount of chips called for in this recipe. Bittersweet chocolate is wholesome, so it won’t take away from the cookie’s health orientation. :-)

3. beth says

Have a magical time.I know Fuzz will have an extra good time with her friend. Can’t wait to hear about your trip!! Your photo of the chocolate chips got me in the mood so I am trying the Carla Rollins recipe. They are baking as we speak. By the way, I tried the Omega Jif and detected no fishy taste whatsoever. Awesome. Thanks for the tip.

I’ve made those vegan cookies a few times and they ARE surprisingly good.
    I have Camilla’s No-Bake book, too.–but it’s packed and already in Utah.
    Yay for you to go to DW again. That’s fun for Fuzz to take a friend. Can’t wait for the trip/food report.

5. Hilary Purcell says

Be sure to ride the Rock N Roller roller coaster! Is so much fun! My daughter, Caroline, and I were on the 7:01 am ride one morning! Was a little early but still tons of fun. It is right next to the Tower of Terror, which is also a good one! ENJOY!

We love Rockin’ Roller Coaster! Fuzz rode Tower of Terror once and didn’t like it, but she was 3 or 4. She says she’s going to try it again.

7. Ghislaine says

Anna- I’m not vegan, but I love these cookies too. Although I do feel they don’t keep well. Another great vegan cookie, which is also a very good keeper is this one http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9982 from Vegetarian Times. The recipe calls for crunchy peanut butter, but you can easily substitute creamy PB, or even other nut butters such as almond. For a funky treat, you can even try sunflower seed butter, which will react with the baking soda and give the inside of the cookies an unearthly shade of greenish blue!

Since I’m baking for a vegan kid, the greenish blue color would be appreciated ;). I’ll have to try these soon.