Tahiti Blondies — By Louise

by on June 7, 2010 · 19 comments

Guest Post from Louise

Today’s blondies were inspired by a Bobby Flay Showdown. They’re called “Tahiti Blondies”, and they were such a hit at a luncheon last week, that I’m definitely making them again and already thinking of embellishments. But let me tell you about the recipe first.

Tahiti Blondies

The Tahiti blondies on Throwdown were from Sugar Daddy’s. Of course they won, and of course Sugar Daddy’s did not provide the recipe. The next stop was Google, where a search for Tahiti Blondies turned up a few viable candidates. The one that was the most well-written and appealing was from Clever Karen, so I decided to start with hers. Or at least that was my intention.

As I made the recipe, I found myself making changes along the way. After looking at some ratios of tried and true blondies, I increased the flour by ¼ cup. I also increased the macadamias (because you can’t have too much of a good thing) and toasted them to bring out the flavor. And while this wasn’t a change per se, I found that my 8 oz can of drained pineapple yielded about ¾ cup drained, while Karen only got ½ cup. For the white chips, I used Hershey’s.

Like I said earlier, the blondies were very well received, as was the white bakery box I carried them in. I got it from Box and Wrap, a company I’ve ordered from a couple of times and whose delivery was fairly speedy.

Now about those embellishments – I’m thinking dried pineapple and some kind of booze would be a good addition. Maybe crème of coconut?

Tahiti Blondies

1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature — mine was more like 80 degree room temp as it just came out of a warm car
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup macadamia nuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup Hershey’s white chips
2/3 cup crushed pineapple (8 oz can of unsweetened, drained, and pressed dry)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment or non-stick foil.

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture, then the coconut, nuts, pineapple, and chips. Do not over mix or the blondies will be more like chocolate chip bars.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick test gives a moist crumb. Do not over bake. Let cool, lift from pan, cut into bars.

Published on June 7, 2010

Lisa Ernst June 7, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I remember this Throwdown episode and I was quite tempted to do a mail order for the Tahiti Blondie. Normally I’m not tempted by something that only has chocolate as a small add in, but these sound fantastic. I did find a place on their website that lists the ingredients in the Tahiti Blondies, which include cashews and dark chocolate chips, along with the pineapple, etc. Of course quantities are another matter….. Thanks for the reminder of this Throwdown – now I’m thinking again of making an order!

Cookie Sleuth June 7, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for digging up the recipe for us! Yum!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) June 7, 2010 at 1:29 pm

ooh yum! I bet these would be good with some lime too–maybe instead or (or in addition to?) the pineapple!

Anna June 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Lisa and Louise,

Thanks for the ingredient link. I changed the link to Sugar Daddy’s so that it links directly to the their Tahiti blondie page.

Magic of Spice June 7, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I have had these before, but a bit different. Liked to try this:) Thank you for sharing!

Hilary Purcell June 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm

These looked really good so I ran to the grocery store and picked up the items I needed. I toasted the macadamea nuts..10 minutes at 350 degrees. I was somewhat pleased with the finished blondies but there was something missing. I mixed powder sugar with a little milk and lemon juice to make a glaze. I poured the glaze over the blondies and let it set. The glaze hardened and added that extra special tartness that it needed to perk up all the flavors. Plus, they are much more pretty to look at now!

Anna June 8, 2010 at 6:02 am

Wow, now I can’t wait to try these. I might try making it with your glaze, but adding a little pineapple.

Louise June 8, 2010 at 7:02 am

The lemon glaze sounds like a good idea to me too. Next time I make them, I’ll add the dried pineapple and finish with a glaze. And maybe something else. :-)

Sweets By Vicky June 8, 2010 at 8:14 am

All the extras in these blondies make them sound like a great vacation destination! :)

Barbara June 9, 2010 at 9:19 am

Super guest post! The blondies are perfectly named with all those islandy ingredients! My family would adore them…

Mark June 9, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Hello Tahiti lovers!

We’re delighted that Sugardaddy’s has inspired you to create your own Tahiti Blondes (aka blondies). If you’d like to place an online order to give yourself a baking break, check out http://www.sugardaddys.com.

To sweeten the deal, please enjoy 10% off any order of Sugardaddy’s 16 brownie and blondie flavors at http://www.sugardaddys.com. (Father’s day is June 20.) We ship only overnight, “Oven to Door in 24″ to ensure the best of the best blondie and brownie delivery. Code: 10ex073110.

Offer not applied to other offers, shipping, or previous orders. Expires July 31, 2010. Keep baking, too!

Mark Ballard, Co-Founder/Co-CEO, Sugardaddy’s

Louise June 10, 2010 at 6:33 am

Mark — Oh my gosh, thanks for noticing my efforts. I feel like I’ve been discovered. I will definitely take you up on your mail order offer and do a taste compare when I have some friends over for a cookout. I couldn’t feel too bad losing to someone who beat Bobby Flay.

LinC June 10, 2010 at 9:47 am

I made this recipe last night and had some problems. The bars turned taller than expected, probably from air introduced when creaming the butter and sugar. That meant I had to cook them longer to get the middle done. Might work better with melted butter. The basic flavor is nutty with a bit of coconut chew. The pineapple flavor is lost unless you know it’s there. Next time I’ll try adding the suggested candied pineapple. I’m sure Sugar Daddy’s are much better than mine!

Jenny June 12, 2010 at 10:54 am

Ever since I saw that Throwdown – I wanted to make them too – I’m going to get busy.

Kristin July 7, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Hi,

I have been reading your blogs and recipes for about 2 years now. I love to bake (and cook) as well and love checking your site out for inspirations, ideas, and tips, etc.

I made these Tahitian Blondies over the weekend using your embellishment ideas and a couple of the ingredients listed in Sugar Daddy’s. In addition to using the coconut, white chocolate and canned pineapple, I also added in, probably a good cup, of coursely chopped dried pineapple and about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of coconut rum. Sorry, I didn’t measure, just eyeballed. I also used semi-sweet chocolate chunks and toasted cashews instead of macadamias as I already had the cashews and just prefer them anyways.

I made them on Friday night, let them cool completely, covered them and put in the fridge overnight. I couldn’t wait to try them the next day. Well, let me tell you, they came out fabulous! I ate 3 in one sitting! They were so dense and so moist but not too heavy, suprisingly, with all that’s in them. In other words, they weren’t belly bombers. They were perfect for 4th of July!

Thank you for your all your ideas and tips and just for all that you do!

Kristin

Anna July 7, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Hi Kristin,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I will forward your comment to Louise and make sure she sees it.

Mark December 15, 2010 at 9:05 pm

As we follow referring sites to http://www.sugardaddys.com, we are from time to time brought back to Cookie Madness!

Should you want to order from Sugardaddy’s, here’s a 10% off code for the remainder of 2010. 10ex123110.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
Mark, Co-Founder/Co-CEO, Sugardaddy’s

Anna March 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm

test

tracy June 3, 2011 at 11:37 am

Thanks to Ryan is Baking (blog) for bringing me here! She was talking about your yellow cake recipe and I started searching! can’t wait to try this!!!

Tracy