Rubber Duck Cake

by on August 10, 2010 · 18 comments

Let’s talk about ducks. Duck cakes, that is!

Fuzz is having her birthday party at a bath store (Bath Junkie) and the clever girl decided that her cake should be a rubber duckie. Naturally, she wanted to help make it, so we spent some time last week looking for rubber duckie cake ideas. Our “safe” idea was to just make blue frosted cupcakes and stick rubber ducks on top, but Fuzz wanted to take it a step further and build a duck. With a little help from a video, we made a practice duck cake.

Here’s the video of how to make a rubber duckie cake.

For the cake, we used the Cake Mix Doctor’s “Basic Butter Cake” (Duncan Hines white cake, 1 cup whole milk, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla) and for the icing we used the directions on the back of a box of C&H Sugar. We had to make 2 full batches of icing to make enough yellow frosting, but one box of cake mix (doctored as mentioned) was enough for the body.

Our cake took two days to make, but only because it required freezing. After building the cake, you frost it with a crumb layer then freeze that whole crumb layer before doing the finishing touches. Here’s the crumb layer.

Duck Crumb Layer

And here’s the finished duck! Fuzz was so proud of her practice cake she invited a bunch of girls over to come eat it. Nobody liked my idea of putting red jam between the layers, but they all liked the cake. Also, the Cake Mix Doctor’s recipe makes a great base for building cakes.

Duck Cake

Published on August 10, 2010

Jennifer August 10, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Wow, that is adorable! I have the cake mix doctor’s chocolate cake recipe cookbook and really like it. I bought it before I really became an avid baker, but I must admit, I still make recipes from it sometimes.

Steph@PlainChicken August 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm

The duck is adorable! Red jam would have been funny! I love the Cake Mix Doctor’s cookbooks. It is nice to have a good and easy recipe for a cake.

Kerstin August 10, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Awww, what a fun project to do together! Fuzz did a great job :)

Katrina August 10, 2010 at 5:33 pm

The duck cake looks great. Good job, Fuzz! Happy upcoming birthday. Hope you’ve had a blast in Chicago!

vanillasugar August 10, 2010 at 7:05 pm

awww that is cute. good job Fuzz!

Cakelaw August 10, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Cute!!!

Kim Fluck August 10, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Too cute… looks yummy! What a fun idea. You are such a cool Mom!

Fallon August 10, 2010 at 9:16 pm

That is awesome!

delia August 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm

That is such a cute cake! What a great idea, Fuzz! I love the idea of the red jam inside :).

Jess @ Bakericious August 11, 2010 at 7:25 am

this is cute!

Carole Resnick August 11, 2010 at 9:10 am

What a neat idea!! With a lot of time you could build an entire barnyard of cakes.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) August 11, 2010 at 2:22 pm

wow great job!!! That cake will be the hit of the party!

Claudia August 11, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Happy birthday, Fuzz. Your cake is fabulous. I hope you have a great party. I just got back from the library and this book caught my eye–funny that the first thing I did when I got home was come here to see another rubber duck cake idea: http://www.amazon.com/Whats-New-Cupcake-Ingeniously-Occasion/dp/054724181X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281575036&sr=1-1

Lynette August 11, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Happy Birthday Fuzz! What a fun idea for Mom and Daughter (what are you going to do with a party at a bath store???)

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit August 12, 2010 at 2:01 pm

So cute! Have a Ducky birthday, Fuzz!

Olga August 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Hi Anna…Wow..it is really cute, i find the the red jam fun jijij ..
Happy Birthday to your daughter.!!

Speaking about birthday, i have my special someone’s birthday coming september 3th. i would love to make a roll cake… and fill it with …”ICECREAM” :O.. big challenge since i live in Cabo and ours summer temerature is almost 40C. :s.. still i want to do it. This cake needs to be special since i bake a lot..so this one must be over the top..:) jiji. .. i have been reading a lot of recipes..eggs and more eggs seems to be the difference.. i have no idea really.. do you have any tips.. i tried a roll cake once and it ended up spooned in to a container.. i think im finally ready to try again and im excited. I didn’t find a roll cake in you site ..or did i missed it…? Saludosss :)

Anna August 12, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Hi Olga,

I don’t make a lot of roll cakes, but I’m sure my family would be happy if I did. We love those types of cakes. The ones I can remember making are a pumpkin roll and a peppermint ice cream roll cake. Here’s a link to the peppermint cake. It had 5 eggs and called for cake flour.

Sarah August 13, 2010 at 8:17 am