Butterscotch Mini Muffins

by on September 10, 2010 · 11 comments

Today’s late afternoon muffins are dedicated to Fuzz, who reminded me that she does not care for muffins with cooked fruit and politely suggested I make blueberry muffins without berries. I told her that was fine, but insisted on adding butterscotch morsels. That idea, she liked.

This recipe makes a good muffin – mini or otherwise. The ratios I used are from a muffin inThe Perfect Recipe, but I took some liberties with the directions, flavorings, etc. What’s nice about these are they are real muffins with a sturdy shell and moist interior and won’t be mistaken for cupcakes. They’re a little raggedy looking, but some muffins just are. If it bothers you, just drizzle on a little icing.

butterscotch muffins

As much as I love this recipe, there’s one small issue. When made as minis the yield is 32 muffins and most mini muffin pans hold 24. A bad solution is to just pile the thick batter into the 24 muffin pans and use it all. I know because I did that and the muffins were top heavy and awkward looking. For the second round, I was more judicious with the batter and the muffins had a nicer shape. This photo was supposed to be my example of a “good” fill. It was better than the first, but even this muffin rose quite a bit so you might want to use a tiny bit less than what’s in this photo. You’ll have batter left over after you fill the 24 cups, but you can always use that to make a couple of regular size muffins.

muffin batter

And one more note. I started running low on butterscotch chips and divided out some of the batter to use with chocolate chips. Even with the same batter, I noticed the muffins with the chocolate chips spread less and had a nicer shape. I think the extra sugar in the butterscotch chips causes the spreading. The point is, this recipe might as well be for chocolate chip muffins because that variation is just as good.

chocolate chip mini muffins

Butterscotch Mini Muffins

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (6.75 oz) — spoon and sweep of fluff up the flour before scooping
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup honey or vanilla flavored yogurt (I used regular ful- fat Greek)
1/2 cup butterscotch morsels
Cinnamon sugar for topping (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 32 mini muffin cup or line with paper liners.

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and set aside.

In a mixing bowl beat the butter and both both sugars until creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla, scraping sides of the bowl. By hand, stir the flour mixture and yogurt into the batter alternating between the two and being careful not to overmix. Stir in the butterscotch morsels.

Using about a tablespoon, fill the muffin cups just to the top. They will rise and spread a bit, so you don’t want to pile the batter too high. If you get 32 minis, you’ve used the right amount per cup. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over top of each muffin.  Sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar if you like.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until muffins are nicely browned. Let the muffins cool in the mini muffin tins, but make sure they’re loosened slightly so they’ll pop out when cool.

Makes 32 muffins

Published on September 10, 2010

Dee September 10, 2010 at 5:59 pm

These look great! I LOVE butterscotch morsels…YUM!

Amalia September 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I just NEED butterscoth chips right now! is so sad we dont have them here!!! ): These look amazing! I dont make enough muffins…need them for my blog ;)
Love the pictures!

Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen September 10, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I enjoyed your muffin recipe. With soup weather upon us, I am always looking for new muffin ideas. I blogged about my oat bran pumpkin chocolate chip muffins today. Grandkids love muffins!

vanillasugar September 10, 2010 at 7:16 pm

i would like these too but need to add some nuts in there or maybe coconut. wouldn’t these be fun as muffin tops? i love muffin tops because they make those crispy edges. i’m so hungry now….
are you entering in the junior’s cheesecake contest? i am…

Katrina September 10, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Or just lose one mini muffin pan under the stove, buy a new one, then move and while cleaning find it. You’ll have two! Just an idea I had.

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy September 10, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Butterscotch is one of those flavors I’m always forgetting that I really like! I don’t know why that is — but regardless, these muffins look scrumptious!!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit September 10, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Love these little butterscotch bites! They look delicious. :)

LimeCake September 11, 2010 at 1:52 am

Mmm butterscotch… Muffins are supposed to look ‘raggedy’. that’s their appeal!

Barbara September 11, 2010 at 8:28 am

First of all, I must admit I don’t bake with butterschotch morsels nearly enough.
These muffins look delish. I’ve had that problem with my mini muffin tin too….why don’t we just buy another??

Mary in Sao Paulo September 12, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I made these within hours of seeing the recipe because I had a bag of butterscotch chips calling out to me. I made 12 regular muffins (perfect amount of batter for that). They were great warm from the oven; the next day, also tasty except the chips tasted a bit crystallized. Perfect motivation to eat them all the same day as baking.

Next time I make them I will definitely add 1/2 cup of coconut. Another time I will experiment with adding some doce de leite.

Thanks for the recipe!

Anna September 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Hi Mary,

Thanks for trying the recipe! I love your idea of adding the coconut because the muffin batter is sweet, but not so sweet that it couldn’t nicely accommodate a little sweetened coconut. Thanks for the new idea and for trying the recipe :).