Jumbo 3 Chip Cookies

by on September 1, 2010 · 9 comments

Congratulations to Lori H. who won the Toll House giveaway!

Lori’s name was drawn randomly in the comment section where I asked readers to pick a recipe off the Toll House site that would be fun to make with kids. I enjoyed reading everyone’s picks and have marked a few down for future baking sessions, including pumpkin bread, which is the recipe Lori chose and which is definitely a great recipe for kids.

For today’s recipe, I chose something a little sweeter and had a baking session of my own. This is a half batch version of a recipe called “Jumbo 3 Chip Cookies” which would be a great recipe to make with kids. I didn’t have any milk chocolate chips, so I used a trio of semi-sweet, butterscotch and white chips. And because the dough was so sturdy, I figured a handful of mini Oreos might work well too. I’m sure the kids can think of even more creative additions.

This version below makes 12 big cookies, but if you use the Jumbo 3 Chip Cookie recipe from Toll House, you’ll get 24 – just enough to share with the class.

Jumbo 3 Chip Cookies

Jumbo 3 Chip Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 9.5 oz)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 sticks (12 T.) unsalted butter, softened**
1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extact
1/2 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels or Butterscotch Morsels
1/2 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl. Beat butter, salt (if using), granulated sugar and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy.

Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts (if using). Drop dough by level 1/4-cup measure 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets or if not baking right away, chill the dough.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Published on September 1, 2010

LisAway September 1, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Those look yummy!

Karen September 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I baked with oreos today, too. I made your Outrageous Oreo brownies today. Today is my last first day of school, since my daughter is now a senior. I don’t know how that happened!
The brownies are fantastic, my not-so-little girl will love them when she gets home.

Sue September 1, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I love the craggly look of those cookies.

Katrina September 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Those look like perfect cookies no matter what kind of chips you put in them. I’ll have to mark this recipe to try!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit September 1, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I’m going to try to do more cooking with my class this year- these look these look like good candidates!

carolina September 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

these cookies look amazing! nice and thick just like i like them. will definetly have to try this recipe!

C L September 2, 2010 at 3:58 pm

From the looks of these gems, they would be good “mailers”. M&Ms, Reese’s pieces and peanut butter cups are lurking in the freezer, waiting to be baked in cookies. Would including the Cadbury egg be overkill? Just wondering… ;)

Lori H. September 8, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Thanks Anna!! I can’t wait to get to baking with all of my new goodies!!! Incidentally, my boys both love toll house slice and bakes almost as much as my favorite toll house cookie recipe. Thanks so much!!!! : )

Jilly June 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Yet another fabulous recipe from your site. I made this cookie dough with heathbar chunks and chocolate chips. Instead of making a bunch of cookies, my friend and I made ONE big cookie birthday cake. We cooked it at 350 for about 15 minutes. It came out perfect. Thanks so much for sharing. Great recipe. Will use again :-)