What’s for Dessert? Good TV!

by on September 15, 2010 · 9 comments

There’s something special about Top Chef. Tom, Padma and Gail are part of the equation; but it’s also the editing, the way challenges are set up and the quality of the contestants that make it the best food show on TV. So I love Top Chef and almost fell out of my chair when I saw a preview for the new Top Chef show, Top Chef: Just Desserts

Guess what? It premieres tonight! I’m already a little nervous.

This show is going to be good. First, it features pastry chefs so that alone is of interest. Have you ever met a pastry chef who couldn’t carry a TV show based on personality? If this clip is any indicator, Top Chef: Just Desserts! might have even more tension and drama than Top Chef.

Plus they did a fantastic job choosing the judges, Gail Simmons, Johnny Iuzzini and Hubert Keller. We have Gail’s familiar face accompanied by two super chefs, which brings me to another thing I love about Top Chef.  It introduces certain celebrity chefs you might only know from magazine profiles, cookbooks, and if you’re lucky, their restaurants. It will be fun to get to know Johnny and Hubert.

To sweeten the pot a little, there’s another special judge tonight – Jacques Torres! Here’s a second clip of the contestants as they learn their first challenge will be taming one of the world’s most temperamental ingredients for “Mr. Chocolate” himself.

I hope you enjoyed the clips and have set your DVRs.

Now go make a special dessert to celebrate and take a photo of it while you’re at it. As part of the promotion, Bravo’s Top Chef: Just Desserts! Facebook page is holding a contest and your dessert photo could win $5,000.

If you don’t have time to make dessert, you might be able to get it for free. Restaurants in 10 cities are offering free dessert in honor of Top Chef: Just Desserts!

And of course, you can always follow Top Chef: Just Desserts! on Twitter or Facebook.

Published on September 15, 2010

Jennifer September 15, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I am so excited! My daughter and I have a tradition of watching Top Chef and love it. We also love desserts most of all and it’s nice to see pastry chefs getting a bit of glory!

Carrie Z September 15, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I have been waiting for this day! I even thought about doing a blog post for all of those crazy people who don’t know the show premieres tonight…but mine wouldn’t have been as informative as yours! I had no idea Jacques was a guest…very exciting.

Katrina September 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I just started watching Top Chef this season–kept forgetting in the past, since I’m almost never on Bravo channel. But when I saw about Top Chef Just Desserts, I was SO excited. I set it to record last week! Can’t wait! Great post, Anna!
Now, about that dessert, hmmm???

Sue September 15, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up!! Right now all I can think is “mmmmm” all of that chocolate, and I can’t wait to see/hear Jacque Torres!

Cookie Sleuth September 15, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I have been looking forward to this show for so long!

Christy September 16, 2010 at 9:46 am

Yay! So excited to watch it! You should get on that show, Anna!

Jennifer September 16, 2010 at 10:48 am

Did you enjoy the episode? It didn’t come on until 10 pm our time so it was a little late for me, next week it’ll be on an hour earlier, thankfully.

Due to the late hour I was a little grumpy and mentioned to my son that they should kick off anyone who didn’t actually MAKE a cupcake for the cupcake quick fire! (I may have also mentioned the ultimate punishment of a firing squad for such an infraction, but who knows, I’m a little fuzzy on the details)

Krista September 16, 2010 at 10:56 am

I love Top Chef, I’m always amazed at what the contestants come up with. I’m betting that Just Desserts will be even better because..well who doesn’t love dessert?

justJENN September 16, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Man, was it a night of bitching or what? So much complaining!!