If You Could Pick Only One Double Chocolate Cookie…

If you could pick onlye one double chocolate chip cookie recipe for your collection, what would it be?   If you asked me yesterday I might have said Maida Heatter’s Whoppers or maybe Chocolate Shock Cookies, but now that I’ve found this recipe I have to change my answer.  This cookie is loaded with chocolate, fatter and shinier than a Whopper (though you have to bake the dough right away for the sheen), and studded with nuts which do not get in the way of the chocolate and probably help add to the cookie’s “puff”.   Also, there’s no cocoa powder or espresso powder in this cookie, but rather the a combo of bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate, so using good chocolate will make a difference.  Plus, it just occurred to me you might be able to vary the flavors by using different brands of flavored chocolate (Green & Black’s Maya Bar, Hazelnut Ritter Sport, etc.).  I may have to make another batch to test the theory.Double Chocolate Cookies

I found the recipe on Amazon where it’s listed as a sample from Sarabeth’s Bakery My Hands to Yours .  If this recipe is any indication of what’s in the book, it’s probably worth buying.

Double Chocolate Cookies

Comments

1. Carol says

Anna-Did you use the fine sea salt and superfine sugar called for or just regular? I really want to make these!

2. Ram says

I’m so happy that you posted this today. I’m going to send a box of these cookies to my nephew in New York who is crazy about chocolate cookies. Do you think these will still be good for at least a week after baking it? Thank you.

Ram, I don’t think these would keep well or ship well. I’m so sorry to say that, but chocolate cookies just don’t keep well. Biscotti is a better choice for shipping, if you ask me. These do freeze well, though.

I remember those chocolate shock cookies from Baking Blonde, right? Those are way up there on my list. We’ve also loved the ones you posted that I think are called pecan chewies, but they are chocolatey and nutty and have egg whites. Love those.
    I was just about to make a Ghir. cookie from their website that are called Chocolate Decadence Cookies that look and sound very chocolaty. Now I’ll have to compare that one to yours and see. I think the Ghir. ones is also with melted chocolate (not cocoa).
    I do like that yours here have that shiny, brownie-top look.

I just made the Ghirardelli Decadence Cookies and they actually look exactly like these that you posted. Now I’ll have to compare both because the recipes are totally different.

Meryl, thanks for the link to the Chocolate Espresso Cookies. Those might be more practical for a cookie exchange since they’re smaller.

7. Meryl says

Anna,

If you try them, let me know what you think! I’ll have to check out SaraBeth’s also. Another good one is BHG’s Mocha Truffle Cookies. Ah…. chocolate!

8. Candace says

These were OMG good. Unbelievable. I’m not baking much these days due to a newborn in the house and these were well worth the effort and time. I am not a fan of pecans or walnuts, so I subbbed 5 oz. of Reese’s peanut butter chips instead. Yum. Definitely a repeater.

9. Devin says

My girlfriend and I decided to add these to our Christmas cookies this year. We definitely made a good choice, these are fantastic!

I am go glad I found your blog. Maggie’s farm linked you and I am very happy. These look fabulous. Can’t wait to shop around and try your recipes.. Thank you.