If You Could Pick Only One Double Chocolate Cookie…

by on November 9, 2010 · 34 comments

If you could pick onlye one double chocolate chip cookie recipe for your collection, what would it be?   If you asked me yesterday I might have said Maida Heatter’s Whoppers or maybe Chocolate Shock Cookies, but now that I’ve found this recipe I have to change my answer.  This cookie is loaded with chocolate, fatter and shinier than a Whopper (though you have to bake the dough right away for the sheen), and studded with nuts which do not get in the way of the chocolate and probably help add to the cookie’s “puff”.   Also, there’s no cocoa powder or espresso powder in this cookie, but rather the a combo of bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate, so using good chocolate will make a difference.  Plus, it just occurred to me you might be able to vary the flavors by using different brands of flavored chocolate (Green & Black’s Maya Bar, Hazelnut Ritter Sport, etc.).  I may have to make another batch to test the theory.Double Chocolate Cookies

I found the recipe on Amazon where it’s listed as a sample from Sarabeth’s Bakery My Hands to Yours .  If this recipe is any indication of what’s in the book, it’s probably worth buying.

Double Chocolate Cookies

Published on November 9, 2010

Jalanda November 9, 2010 at 7:57 am

Lawd, have mercy!!!

Carol November 9, 2010 at 8:55 am

Anna-Did you use the fine sea salt and superfine sugar called for or just regular? I really want to make these!

Anna November 9, 2010 at 9:54 am

Carol, I used regular Kosher salt. As for the sugar, I ground mine up in the coffee grinder.

the blissful baker November 9, 2010 at 9:57 am

i can’t just pick one double chocolate cookie recipe, all the ones i’ve tried produce such wonderfully decadent and fudgy cookies! this one looks amazing!

Clara Curtis November 9, 2010 at 10:38 am

Ahhh! I’m DYING to bake again! Those cookies…all the cookies at the SCAD Cafe…well, let’s just say that they hurt when they get thrown at you…

DYING.

I was wondering if you could critique my dub chocolate cookie recipe if you have the time :) http://clarabakes.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/happy-blogiversary/

Hopefully, I’ll be able to post this Friday…I have a HUGE surprise to show everyone!!

Louise November 9, 2010 at 10:40 am

Did you make this side-by-side with the others, or relying on your taste memory?

Valerie Suhanosky November 9, 2010 at 11:01 am

where is this great recipe, are you going to post it today?

Camille November 9, 2010 at 11:06 am

Oh my gosh, this looks like a brownie in cookie form! EPIC!

Lisa Ernst November 9, 2010 at 11:32 am

OMG, I am so making these! I think I’ve found my dream double chocolate cookie! Just in time for the holidays.

Ram November 9, 2010 at 11:35 am

I’m so happy that you posted this today. I’m going to send a box of these cookies to my nephew in New York who is crazy about chocolate cookies. Do you think these will still be good for at least a week after baking it? Thank you.

Anna November 9, 2010 at 11:39 am

Ram, I don’t think these would keep well or ship well. I’m so sorry to say that, but chocolate cookies just don’t keep well. Biscotti is a better choice for shipping, if you ask me. These do freeze well, though.

Anna November 9, 2010 at 11:42 am

Valerie, there’s a link to the recipe. I didn’t make any changes so it’s better that you get the recipe from the source. The link is kind of hard to see, but it’s there. Here it is again. Email me if you have any trouble accessing.

Louise, taste memory.

Clara, I will try to make your cookie soon. I’m sure it’s great!

Lee November 9, 2010 at 11:46 am

If i lived at your house i would gain at least 25 lbs a year with no problem, lo

Fallon November 9, 2010 at 11:49 am

These look so rich and delicious! Different chocolates would be fun to play around with these cookies.

Gianna November 9, 2010 at 11:50 am

Those look like brownies, yum!

Katrina November 9, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I remember those chocolate shock cookies from Baking Blonde, right? Those are way up there on my list. We’ve also loved the ones you posted that I think are called pecan chewies, but they are chocolatey and nutty and have egg whites. Love those.
I was just about to make a Ghir. cookie from their website that are called Chocolate Decadence Cookies that look and sound very chocolaty. Now I’ll have to compare that one to yours and see. I think the Ghir. ones is also with melted chocolate (not cocoa).
I do like that yours here have that shiny, brownie-top look.

Katrina November 9, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Ok, I just clicked over to get the recipe and I LOVE that they are called Chocolate Chubbies!

briarrose November 9, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Wow…that looks so rich and yummy.

Katrina November 9, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I just made the Ghirardelli Decadence Cookies and they actually look exactly like these that you posted. Now I’ll have to compare both because the recipes are totally different.

Courtney November 9, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Wow. The insides of those things look absolutely delightful!

Alli November 9, 2010 at 5:11 pm

These look amazing! They’re going on my list immediately!

Laura November 9, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Anyone else think that Sarabeth’s title sounds a bit familiar? Hands vs. home…

Ashley November 9, 2010 at 6:00 pm

YUMMY this look so good. Love your blog. Check out my food blog at

Meryl November 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm

These are my favorites so far, and I’ve tried lots! They’re deep, deep chocolatey, nice and gooey. Great right out of the oven, and just as good the next day.

*NOTE: This was originally posted with 1/4 cup flour, which is incorrect. It should be 1 1/4 cups.

CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO CHEWS

Meryl November 9, 2010 at 6:39 pm
Mackenzie @ The Caramel Cookie November 9, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Yum! Those cookies look SO good and gooey in the middle!

Ravenous Rowie November 9, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I don’t know if I could ever pick just one recipe, but this one sure looks good! SOOO chocolatey, just the way I like ‘em!

Anna November 10, 2010 at 7:43 am

Meryl, thanks for the link to the Chocolate Espresso Cookies. Those might be more practical for a cookie exchange since they’re smaller.

Cakelaw November 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Man, these look so good!

Meryl November 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Anna,

If you try them, let me know what you think! I’ll have to check out SaraBeth’s also. Another good one is BHG’s Mocha Truffle Cookies. Ah…. chocolate!

Tracy November 13, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Wow, those look amazing!

Candace November 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm

These were OMG good. Unbelievable. I’m not baking much these days due to a newborn in the house and these were well worth the effort and time. I am not a fan of pecans or walnuts, so I subbbed 5 oz. of Reese’s peanut butter chips instead. Yum. Definitely a repeater.

Devin December 20, 2011 at 6:59 am

My girlfriend and I decided to add these to our Christmas cookies this year. We definitely made a good choice, these are fantastic!

Winnie April 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I am go glad I found your blog. Maggie’s farm linked you and I am very happy. These look fabulous. Can’t wait to shop around and try your recipes.. Thank you.