Toffee-Studded Snickerdoodles

by on December 14, 2010 · 8 comments

Here’s another cookie from yesterday’s Girl Scout meeting. The girls recognized them right away as Snickerdoodles, but the surprise was the Heath toffee bits which add texture and flavor. They liked these a little better than the peanut butter cookies, but the adults preferred the peanut butter.

Snickerdoodles

Toffee Studded Snickerdoodles

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened (I used unsalted butter)
1/2 cup shortening
1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (added an extra big pinch to adjust for unsalted butter)
1-1/3 cups (8-oz. pkg.) HEATH BITS ‘O BRICKLE Toffee Bits
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400°F. Beat butter, shortening and 1 cup sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs; beat thoroughly. Stir together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in toffee bits. Stir together remaining 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon. Shape dough into 1-1/4-inch balls; roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 5 dozen cookies.

Published on December 14, 2010

Carole December 14, 2010 at 10:16 am

Yum.

T. Martin December 14, 2010 at 11:06 am

Anna,

Do you have a consistent/reliable source for the toffee bits? When I was in MD there was one supermarket that was guaranteed to have these on their shelf but I have not been as lucky finding a place in NY that carries toffee bits. I suppose I could always just buy Heath Bars and chop them up but then I don’t consistent sizes as I would in a bag of toffee bits.

Scott December 14, 2010 at 11:25 am

Those cookies look so tasty!

Anna December 14, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Taneka, I used Hershey’s Heath bits. Most stores are around here carry them. Does anyone else in NYC know a grocery store that sells toffee bits or some sort of brickle? I’m really surprised D’Agostino doesn’t have them. Anyway, I don’t think Heath bars would work too well because the bits it these particular cookies are not the chocolate coated ones. Then again, they might. Wish I could give you a better answer.

Louise December 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I often put either Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips or Vanilla Chips in the Snickerdoodles.

Mackenzie @ The Caramel Cookie December 14, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Never thought to add toffee bits to snickerdoodles. Great idea!

Gabby December 14, 2010 at 6:47 pm

just stumbled upon your site today. love it!… I just made my favorite chocolate peanut butter chip cookie recipe the other day!

Karen December 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Yummm..who’da thought to add extras to snicker doodles! These will DEFINITELY be a treat. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us…