Current Favorites

by on January 17, 2011 · 20 comments

The Girl Scouts are meeting here today so I baked a hodgepodge of favorites known to be popular with fourth grade girls — chocolate chip, oatmeal and double chocolate. Thinking about which recipes to go with made me realize I hadn’t posted an updated list of “favorites”. So here we go.

Chewy Chocolate Chip — David Lebovitz’s Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are my current favorites. Yesterday I used European style butter and liked them even better.

Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Medium Thick Chocolate Chip – Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies. This recipe is still my number one, but it’s really best when made a day ahead and I usually forget to make them the day before I need them. The egg trick sounds crazy, but it works.

ultimatechocolatechipcookies

The Easy and Good Oatmeal Cookies were my fall-back cookie, but I’m looking for another one. I have too many oatmeal cookie recipes and can’t choose a favorite. I made a batch of these for the Girl Scouts, but have a feeling they’ll be the last to go because I used white whole wheat flour and added a ton of raisins.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Peanut Butter — Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies made with a not-too-sweet natural style peanut butter.

Triple Peanut Criss-Cross Cookies

Our Girl Scouts love Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookies, but for scratch, I’d do with the “Secret Ingredient Sugar Cookies“.

sugar cookies

These Frosted Fudge Brownies with Pecans are very simple, not too expensive, and all-around winners.  I didn’t think I’d like the pecans, but they are a natural in this recipe and not intrusive at all. I’ve already made these 3 times.

Brownies

This White Chocolate Macadamia recipe from Roseanne Barr was really good.

Macadamia White Chocolate Cookies

When it comes to Double Chocolate Cookies, my favorites are ones like Maida Heatter’s Whoppers which call for lots of premium chocolate. Those cookies aren’t always practical, though.  When it comes to a good double chocolate cookie, one that’s kid-friendly and easy to whip up at the last minute using things on hand, I like Ultimate Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies and these Triple Chocolate Brownie Cookies.

chocolate brownie cookies

Published on January 17, 2011

Helena January 17, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Two Choc Chip Cookie recipes in one post? I really need to make some again!

Anna January 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Yes, but I think the two have different textures. I could even throw in a “crunchy”, but I haven’t been making crunchy ones lately.

Louise January 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I need to make David Lebovitz’s Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies very soon. I’m tired of just hearing about them and need to experience them. B-)

Sue January 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Your lists are always a hit with me! I’ve made a few of those and have to agree they’re favorites including the oatmeal raisin cookies. I believe that recipe turned my son from refusing to eat oatmeal raisin cookies, to loving them.

BakerMan January 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Did I just break my New Years resolutions by just looking at this post? :)

vanillasugar January 17, 2011 at 4:54 pm

that european butter makes all the diff doesn’t it? i made a batch of oversized vanilla sugar cookies using european butter. my goodness the flavor was so….so clean, so crisp. i will post soon, i think, kind of a boring photo so i don’t know.

Katrina January 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Ok, I made the DL Salted Butter CCC’s, which were great, but I’m not sure I’ve made the Ultimate CCC’s and now I have to try those, too. They look more like “my type.” ;) Great list!

Mackenzie @The Caramel Cookie January 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I haven’t made any cookies in 3 weeks and those two CCC recipes look SO good!

Louise January 18, 2011 at 7:52 am

Anna, What brand of European butter did you use in the David Lebovitz CC Cookies?

Anna January 18, 2011 at 8:40 am

I used Plugra.

Beth @ Embossed Edibles January 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

Triple chocolate cookies look and sound amazing. I’m going to have to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!

The Cupcake Princess January 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

The salted butter chocolate chip cookies sound great! Must try that!

Damjana January 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Glad I discovered your blog. Actually I was translating farmacy but got distracted by another word to translate “cream pie” so I looked at the pics and found your page. Cute :) I’d love to make some cookies but I can only make them when I’m at home since I don’t have oven in my flat.

melissa January 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

HI Anna,

I made the David Lebovitz cookie yesterday with Jamie. They came out pretty crunchy! Do you think I over baked them???? I love crunchy cookies, but D was a tad disappointed. They are even crunchier today. So good dunked in milk though!

Anna January 19, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Hi Melissa,

I’m not sure. Mine keep coming out moist. I’ve been using dark brown sugar, so maybe that helps lock in the moisture?

Rice Kernel March 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Anna, I have to recommend my agave oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. The addition of naturally sweet agave reduces the sugar level – and it adds an element of moistness and chew that I haven’t found in other recipes. The cookie stays moist in the center for days, even while the edges are lightly crisp. Hope you’ll enjoy it! http://ricekernel.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/hello-world/

Anna March 14, 2011 at 8:08 am

I made an agave cookie a while back too. Yours looks pretty different than mine, though.

Carrie April 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Hi Anna,

I can’t wait to make the David L cookies. Have you ever seen that French salted butter in the States? I

Anna April 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Carrie, we have about 5 different brands of French butter at Central Market. My regular grocery store has their own house brand of European style butter which is really good. Also, KerryGold Irish butter would be a good substitute, I suppose.

Carrie April 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Thanks, Anna. I’ll have to check out the French Market in Chicago. I’m so jealous of David L. eating salty buttered toast in Paris…