News Items

by on January 22, 2011 · 6 comments

Applesauce Cookies from the Seattle Post

An article about baking temperature from The Atlantic.

Published on January 22, 2011

Louise January 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Joanne Chang’s articles are really well written. Her Maple Buttermilk Cake with Caramelized Apples looks intriguing. Perhaps you should try her CC Cookies.

TxPepper January 22, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Anna,

Did you take a look at Chang’s choco chip cookie recipe? I don’t think I remember seeing you test a variation of her cookie style.

Thanks for sharing the great initial link!

Pepper

Anna January 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Thanks both of you! I think I make that dough ahead of time so I can bake the cookies tomorrow.

vanillasugar January 22, 2011 at 6:49 pm

i went to flour in boston a couple of times. it’s wonderful. next time i go i will do a post. but i have to say that she has these fig newtons done almost like a cakey pop tart. the recipe is in her new cookbook “flour”.
she advice is true, and what i really wanted to say here was i miss my convection oven. when we had a rental (before we bought our own house) i noticed a huge diff in how the texture, cooking times and overall color of baked items came out. i hope someday to own a convection; what a diff they make even in jsut cc cookies you know?

Louise January 23, 2011 at 7:34 am

It looks like Joanne Chang had a Sticky Bun Throwdown with Bobby Flay. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/joanne-changs-sticky-buns-recipe/index.html I came across the recipe while looking for the fig newton one. I’ll probably have to buy “Flour” for that recipe alone.
And, I strongly agree with Dawn about convection ovens and baking. I love my convection oven almost as much as my induction cooktop. I love melting chocolate without a double boiler and being able to saute with a piece of parchment under the skillet to collect the spatters. ;-)

Gloria January 23, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Read Joanne Chang’s article for beginning bakers. Interesting info. on temperatures-I didn’t realize the importance of them. Thanks for posting.