No Baking Today!

I didn’t bake today, but there’s a good reason. I’m in New York City! This was an unexpected, last minute trip courtesy of I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter who invited a group of bloggers to attend the launch party introducing their new celebrity spokesperson. They wouldn’t tell us who it was until this morning, but we had a lot of fun guessing — Justin Bieber? Kim Kardashian? Betty White? Turns out the new commercials will star Kim Cattrall from Sex in the City, who in my opinion will be an excellent face for the product. As far as I know, she’s not doing any dancing or singing, but she finished filming some commercials in Argentina that look pretty funny.

Here’s a group photo of the bloggers. I’ll post more photos later.

Meanwhile, there was another treat in store. Alex Guarnaschelli, chef at NYC’s “Butter” restaurant and star of the show Alex’s Day Off was helping with the launch. The party was held this morning at Butter (which they renamed “I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter” for the morning) and Alex cooked a fantastic brunch using the product. The best thing on the menu were the buttery biscuits, which I’m going to try as soon as I get the recipe. She also made quiche, shrimp and butter cookies, then told us how much fun she had experimenting with the spread. She was genuinely surprised at how well it worked and while I don’t see her changing the name of the restaurant permanently and making all the dishes with it, I think she might use it in her home cooking. She’s mom to a 3 1/2 year old and is always watching out for nutrition.

Alex also told a funny story about her own mother, a cookbook editor who worked on books such as The Cake Bible. Alex’s mother would go to great lengths to explain where ingredients came from, would know the history of everything she served and would seek out the best bread….then toast it and spray it with I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter spray. It kind of reminded me of what goes on at our house. I make big batches of cookies with real butter, then steam a pile of vegetables and serve them to the family with a sprits of butter spray. It’s all about balance, right?

Anyhow, I’m not the new spokesman for the product, but I appreciated being invited to the event and no doubt it has made me more interested in using the product. After having my cholesterol checked last week (it was fine, but it was scary waiting for the results since I hadn’t been tested in years) I’m trying to cut saturated fat here and there and every little bit helps. I also stand by what I said earlier about the little kick of butter flavoring from the spread adding extra buttery flavor to things that already pair well with butter. I think I like cornbread made with spread better than with real butter.

I’ll tell you more about it when I get home and have access to my real computer. It was a fun trip, but I miss being in the kitchen baking.

Comments

1. Darlene says

How fun for you, and what a great photo of you and the other bloggers! I’m looking forward to trying some of your recipes with the product.

Awesome! Hope you’ve had a great time in NYC. Can’t wait to hear. And yes, I’m jealous. ;) That one thing at Butter was the only thing they had going and now you get to spend that much more time in the city. Lucky.
    (I’m not really that jealous, I’m not that type, and am super glad you got to go, but would you please tell them to pick me to go with you next time. ;)

Nice! Who are the other bloggers? It would be fun to check out their NYC trip reports too.
    Can’t wait to try out cornbread with “I Can’t Believe….”! What fun to eat at “Butter” and meet Alex G.! :-)

4. Ram says

Nice group picture. “I Can’t Believe…” is our “butter” of choice with our toast. I always have it in the refrigerator. I’ll try the other ingredients with it, thanks for letting us know.

5. T. Martin says

Sorry I missed you but sounds like a whirlwind trip thus not leaving much time for even a quick chat.

Did you know any of the other bloggers? Alex Guarnaschelli is one of my favorite judges on the weekly show Chopped. I would love to meet her and eat at her restaurant! I would say Lucky you, but you’ve worked hard to get where you are so it’s not just luck!
    Can’t wait to hear more!

hi!
    Hope you’re having fun here, but what a bad week to travel! Denis was going to go to Boston tonight but canceled. Hope it does not delay you much. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Gloria, Alex is the real deal. She’s a chef to the core and has so much to teach. I think she’d make a great judge on any cooking show because with her, it’s all about what tastes good and she’s not jaded or pretentious. Most of the real chefs I’ve met are open to trying just about anything.

About the other bloggers, when I get home I’ll add links to their blogs. I knew a few of them through various forms of social media, but it was great meeting them in person. They’re all passionate about cooking and/or baking. It’s fun being around people like that.

9. Amanda says

Aww! I was invited to go too but had to decline as we were out of town. Bummer, would have loved to have met you!!

10. Lori Connors says

How cool! I can’t imagine anything more fun than being in NYC and eating all the fabulous food that Chef Alex created. Oh….and I absolutely adore Kim Cattrall! I watch Sex and the City reruns every chance i get!

You arrived just in time for all the snow! Hope you made it home OK.More importantly: did you get a chance to taste any cookies while you were in town?

12. beth says

Anna,

If you can run, don’t walk to the City Bakery and get a pretzel croissant and some hot chocolate. Then if you have a chance stop at Books of Wonder and find something for Fuzz. Enjoy NYC!

beth