Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on January 14, 2011 · 14 comments

Yesterday I had a couple of men here to move my 350 pound treadmill up the stairs and assemble it. If anyone deserved cookies they did, so I baked up a batch of David Lebovitz’s Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.

What I’ve found over the years is that other than pure delight, there’s no element of uncertainty when making a David Lebovitz recipe. They’re all perfect, and so is this one. It’s a simple chocolate chip cookie, but David recognized that salted butter can make for an excellent chocolate chip cookie, explained why in really insightful post, then typed up this gem of a recipe. It doesn’t look so special on paper and there aren’t any tricks (unless you count taking them out after 10 minutes and tapping them with a spatula), but the cookies are just perfect – rich, chewy and packed with brown sugar flavor (I used dark).

Here’s the cookie recipe from David Lebovitz’s blog.  If you have time, read the comments because they’re pretty interesting.  One commenter told a story about how every time she bought salted butter it had an off appearance and taste, then realized that the salted butter at her store was much fresher because it was the one that was flying off the shelves. Makes sense.

That being said, I plan on continuing to buy unsalted butter because I’ve gotten used to controlling how much salt is in recipes, but I may throw a pack of salted in the cart as well. It certainly worked well here.

Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

The new treadmill works great, btw. I ordered a Livestrong model, so if I don’t use it, at least I’ve done a little to help fight cancer. So far I like it, though.

Published on January 14, 2011

LimeCake January 14, 2011 at 8:34 am

I almost always make chocolate chip cookies with salted butter. I love the savouriness they give to the cookie. Have fun with your new treadmill!

Lisa Ernst January 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

Like LimeCake, I always use salted butter for baking. With only two people in our family, two types of butter would probably lose freshness, so salted it is. This recipe looks perfect and I will give it a try.

Jennifer January 14, 2011 at 10:20 am

I love David Lebovitz’s recipes. His blog is also a good read. I’ve never read the spatula trick, so I’m interested in trying that.

Julie January 14, 2011 at 10:23 am

I just read David’s post and all the comments…yes, interesting. Did yours harden at all by the next day? A lot of people seemed to have that problem, but of course, that could be for any number of reasons! I’m jealous of your new treadmill! When I have the space, I’m getting one. What model did you get?

Katrina January 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Run, Anna, Run! ;)
Mmmm, ccc’s–and DL’s to boot. He’s one of my favorite goody recipe maker people out there. hehe

Katrina January 14, 2011 at 3:22 pm

You got me. The dough is chilling. ;) I didn’t have salted butter, so I used his idea of adding extra salt, I used a heaping 1/4 t. sea salt. How long did you chill the dough? Not sure I want to wait from now until morning. May just wait until later tonight.

Gloria January 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Love salt! It enhances flavors so well!!! Will try these cookies soon!!! Gotta go get some Kosher salt.
Experimenting with banana blueberry brownies tonight-wish me luck!

HeartofGlass January 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm

The sea salt brownies I tried over Christmas were fantastic, and these look wonderful as well–I kind of like the idea of adding more salt, though, rather than using salted butter because I think that I like the way that sea salt ‘tastes’ better –although that may just be in my head…where else can I go for cookie and treadmill reviews! (I’ll probably need to buy a new ‘mill next year…)

Sue January 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Was it just me or did anyone else find David’s recipe a little confusing? Maybe I’m tired, but I had a difficult time following swapping out one kind of butter for another and the amounts of salt to swap.
At any rate… The few recipes of his that I’ve tried have been excellent. No doubt if I were actually making the cookies it would all become clear to me. Both yours and his look positively scrumptious and I’m salivating thinking of the rich brown sugar, chocolate and lovely hit of salt.

Anna January 14, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for all the comments! I’m just going to answer the ones with questions, but hello to everyone. I’m always happy when people get as excited about chocolate chip cookies as I do.

Julie, the cookies got a lot firmer on day 2. They weren’t exactly hard, but they definitely weren’t as good as Day 1. I usually bake the dough up fresh anyway.

Thanks for asking about the treadmill. So far, I love it! It’s really quiet and has almost the same support as the treadmill I used to use at the gym. After a ton of research, I bought the Livestrong LS10.0T
http://reviews.livestrongfitness.com/0542/ls10-0t/reviews.htm. I wanted the Sole because it was the top rated, but this one was about $400 less, had personal reviews that seemed even better than the Sole, and had all the features that I needed (weight support, big enough belt, enough speed). We’ll see how it holds up.

Mary, I totally know what you mean about adding the salt. I think we have control issues. Seriously, it’s probably a good ratio of ingredients using whatever type butter. He made some good points in the post, though.

Sue, I know you love DL recipes. As for the confusion about swapping salt amounts, I just glanced over that part because I knew right away I was going to just buy salted butter and go with the original recipe.

Katrina January 14, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I baked the cookies tonight after they chilled most of the day. They are a great cookie. I didn’t use salted butter, so I added the extra. I also sprinkled a little sea salt on top just for kicks. I did the spatula slapping with a few from the first baking sheet, but decided it wasn’t really necessary.
I’ve got to go look at your treadmill.

Louise January 15, 2011 at 8:45 am

I’ve had this recipe in my cc cookie “to do” file since last summer. I think it’s time to pull it out. :-) And, I’m glad you like the new treadmill. You might also like Coach Rylan. Here’s an example of his programs. http://gosleevelessblog.com/?p=878 He makes the workout count by having concise exercises that work on more than one thing at a time. And, you don’t have to follow along with him, but only watch a short video to see what you are to do. I usually workout at the fitness center, but he gives options for doing the stuff at home with minimal equipment.

Julie January 17, 2011 at 10:53 am

The treadmill looks awesome. And very affordable! I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

d April 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I’ve made these twice, both times with Plugra. Oh my! I’m hooked. I’m not sure if it’s the recipe or the Plugra, but these are amazing. Thanks Anna!