Fuzz’s First Cooking Video

by on February 13, 2011 · 26 comments

I wasn’t the only one obsessed with Red Velvet Cake this weekend. Fuzz got in on the act and made some cupcakes! This recipe is from our friend Laura (thanks Laura!), but Fuzz and I decided to try it with applesauce in place of some of the oil. Most people will love these when made with the full amount (12 tablespoons) of oil, but the applesauce added an interesting flavor and I liked the idea of cutting the fat a bit.

These are especially good once they’re completely cooled and frosted and all the flavors come together. Plus, they’re so easy to make that Fuzz was able to come indoors from playing and make this quick video demonstration. This is our first shot at making videos and we’re still in the learning phase, but it was kind of fun.

The entire recipe is after the jump. And again, if you don’t want to use the applesauce, you can go use the same amount of oil in its place.

Fuzz’s Red Velvet Applesauce Cupcakes

1 1/4 cups cake flour (5 oz)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon unsweetened natural style cocoa powder
3/4 cups sugar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 tablespoons drained applesauce** (or use 6 T. oil)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon red food coloring (McCormick)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (full fat type)

Cream Cheese Frosting

6 oz cream cheese, room temperature
4 oz butter, room temperature
1/2 pound (1 ¾ cups) powdered sugar, sifted
3/4 vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons sour cream (optional) — I like to throw some in for extra tartness

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

Mix the cake flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder together in a small bowl and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, drained applesauce, egg, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring. Now whisk in the Greek yogurt.
With a spoon, stir in the flour mixture and mix until smooth.

Fill paper lined muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full and bake at 350°F ~20-22 min until tops spring back and toothpick comes out clean. Set the cupcakes on a rack to cool then ice with cream cheese frosting.

Whip the butter and cream cheese together in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until creamed. Gradually add powdered sugar to the mixture and scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.

Makes 12

**To drain applesauce, pour about a cup of applesauce onto a stack of paper towels. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Draining the extra moisture out of the applesauce is supposed to help prevent extra steam from forming and creating a rubbery texture.

Published on February 13, 2011

Jane February 13, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I love the video! Fuzz is a natural in front of the camera. Well done!

Cakelaw February 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Loved this post and the video. The idea of subbing in applesauce for oil is a good one.

Anna February 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm

We had a lot of fun playing around with the little Flip video camera. What I need to learn now is editing. There are some parts where I could add more transitions, but I’m using something called Windows Movie Maker and don’t really know what I’m doing. It’s fun a fun learning process. Does anyone have easy video editing software to recommend?

vanillasugarblog February 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm

oh my gosh how cute is she? i need to get a flip camera. all i know is mac computers have the best video editing software.

T. Martin February 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Anna,

Time has really flown… I remember a post you did just a couple of years back where Fuzz got frustrated while trying to help you bake and here she is starring in a video for the blog. I am enjoying watching her grow up :-).

Emily February 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I don’t think I could do a better job than her! She’s a good baker for a nine year old! I loved the video.

lisa February 13, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hi Anna & Fuzz

Just a wonderful mother-daughter experience. I have a flipvidwo, too and love editing with iphoto.

Amy D February 13, 2011 at 6:35 pm

SO CUTE!! She did a great job too!!

HeartofGlass February 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Your daughter is so personable and well-spoken! A true natural! I think she may need a bigger bowl next time, though!

Ronna February 13, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Your little girl is not so little anymore! Great job, Fuzz!

Esther February 13, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Aww, she’s so cute! I can tell that she will be an awesome baker one day. :) I also use Windows Movie Maker, but it always freezes on me and then I lose most of my work. However, I don’t know any other better software you can use.

Darlene February 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Wonderful job! I learned something new, I should drain applesauce when using as an oil substitute.

Amy February 13, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Thanks Fuzz, for the tutorial!

Is that a half cup of Greek yogurt?

Thanks :)

Gloria February 13, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Love the video-she is a natural! I also didn’t think to drain applesauce when using it as an oil substitute. Thanks Fuzz for the tip! Love your double ovens too. They are only a dream for me…:^(

karen February 14, 2011 at 12:03 am

Fantastic! I loved it! I love that Fuzz is barefoot, we are usually barefoot in this house, too.

Katy February 14, 2011 at 8:03 am

Applesauce is a great sub for oil, especially in cakes and quick breads! Thanks Fuzz, awesome video – I’m definitely making these soon!

As an aside, my hubby is a videographer, and he uses Final Cut Pro (Mac) for all his editing. I think there’s a version called Final Cut Express, which might be a little simpler – I know everything I’ve seen him do with FCP has been way over my head. LOL

Sue February 14, 2011 at 9:51 am

That was an absolutely adorable video of Fuzz demoing how to make red velvet cupcakes. She did an AWESOME job.
Love her stage presence. Love the part where she cracks the egg, ’cause there’s history with my own kids cracking eggs and she does it flawlessly. And I love the fingernail polish.

Shelly February 14, 2011 at 10:42 am

I believe a “star is born”! One day this will be played on Leno when Fuzz is a adult and when she least expects it!

Lee February 14, 2011 at 11:23 am

So cute, i remember baking with my little grandaughter too

Louise February 14, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Oh my gosh. Your home video is adorable. Food Network should do a special featuring children. Fuzz would be right there. How fun.

Shannon in Canada February 14, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Love her! That was terrific!

Katrina February 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Awesome video! My favorite part is her trying to get the last of the yogurt out. ;)
She’s a natural–in the kitchen and on video. Thanks for sharing. My boys won’t even let me take their picture anymore. sigh

Laura February 14, 2011 at 5:28 pm

You’re very welcome for the recipe. :) Tell Emma she did a fabulous job with it, and that I really enjoyed her video. I’m so happy that she liked the cupcakes.

beth February 15, 2011 at 7:38 am

Fuzz is a natural. She has a great speaking voice and did very well with explaining the steps! Love Red Velvet and the red nail polish. Fuzz, you inspired my daughter to make a cooking video too. Great job.
beth

zoe February 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Fuzz, I love the video! I am about you’re age and I made a cooking video too. the cupcakes look like they taste great. Good job!

Gina February 19, 2011 at 11:22 pm

“You are probably gonna do a better job than I am because you are probably not nine years old.” LOL! She’s hilarious!