Chocolate Irish Cream Cake

by on March 7, 2011 · 12 comments

Three years ago I bookmarked a recipe for Chocolate Irish Cream Cake. It sounded good, but I was trying to focus on scratch cakes and never made it.

This weekend I was organizing my St. Patrick’s Day recipes and came across the cake again. The post had no picture — just a recipe for the cake, and I felt a little sorry for it.  “Poor recipe.  You need a picture.”  Besides, it sounded pretty good for a doctored cake mix cake, and I did have some Michael’s Irish Cream in the refrigerator.

Now the entry has a picture.

Irish Cream Cake

And I’ve found a recipe I can share with my friends who don’t bake!

It had been a while since I’d made a doctored cake mix cake and I worried about doing it right. For instance, it called for extra pudding, but almost all the major brands of cake mix now seem to have pudding already added. Would more pudding make the cake be mushy? And what about the sides? This cake is two layers which you split and fill to make four. The sides weren’t covered with icing, but rather garnished with chocolate curls. How would they stick? And how would I make them, anyway? I ‘m still terrible at making chocolate curls. Then I came to my senses, reminded myself cake mix cakes were supposed to be easy and fun, and then just went with it.

To get the layers straight, I used a cake cutter. What a great tool, that is! I forgot I had one, but I found it in a box in the pantry.

cake cutter

The naked sides were still an issue.

Irish Cream Cake

So in the end I used my not yet patented method of covering the whole thing with whipped cream and drizzling chocolate syrup on top. Aside from the irony of making a cake with 4 packs of Dream whip and 2 cups of freshly whipped cream, it turned out to be a pretty solid recipe and a very good cake (though I would like to make it from scratch, next).

Here’s the recipe as I made it — pudding in the already-added-pudding-in-the-mix cake mix and all. In hindsight, I wish I’d dyed the whipped cream green, but I’ll save that for another time.

Chocolate Irish Cream Cake

Cake:
1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 (4-ounce) package chocolate instant pudding mix
4 large eggs
1/2 cup Irish Cream (I used Michael’s)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Filling:
1 1/2 cups cold milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup Irish Cream
1 (4-ounce) package chocolate instant pudding mix
1 (5.2-ounce) package Dream Whip — all four envelopes

Whipped Cream Topping:

2 cups heavy whipping cream whipped and sweetened to taste with powdered sugar (about 4 tablespoons) and vanilla OR Cool Whip if you want to keep the easy and convenient theme going.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 9 inch round cake pans with Baker’s Joy.

Combine all cake ingredients together in a large bowl and beat at medium mixer speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not over-bake. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire rack. Remove from pans and finish cooling on racks.

Prepare filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend well at high speed for 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.

Split layers in half and spread about one cup filling between each layer and on the top layer. Put the cake in the refrigerator and let it chill for a bit before you cover it with whipped cream. This will help keep the top layer of filling from spreading into the whipped topping.

Spread whipped cream (dyed green?) over entire cake. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.

Makes 12 servings.

Published on March 7, 2011

Louise March 8, 2011 at 10:49 am

Nice looking cake, but I think the last time I had Dreamwhip was about 50 years ago.

Kelly March 8, 2011 at 11:21 am

Mmmm. My grandma swears by dreamwhip.

Sue March 8, 2011 at 11:28 am

Nice looking cake! I’m glad you didn’t use the green food coloring. ;-)
I’m envious of your cake splitter. I’ve never owned one, but every so often wish I had one.
Regarding the Michael’s. I’m in charge of cocktails for a get together in a few weeks, and one of the recipes calls for Bailey’s. How do you think the Michael’s compares to Bailey’s?

Anna March 8, 2011 at 11:44 am

Louise, I just worked a scratch version out on paper and will test it.

Kelly, that’s funny.

Sue, don’t you like green??? ‘)

Michael’s is really good! I was skeptical because it was so much cheaper than Bailey’s, but the guy at the the store told me he liked it better and that it was made with real cream. I thought they both were, but he kept mentioning that and told me to do myself a favor and try it. It is really good and perfect for baking.

Pam March 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Anna, I’ve found a great way to make beautiful chocolate curls anytime I need them. I use good quality chocolate poured into a form I make with heavy duty foil. Shape it into a rectangular box, about 1.5″ x 8″ and let the chocolate harden. Use a vegetable peeler to make the curls. I store the chocolate in the fridge in a heavy-duty plastic bag. Just let it warm to room temperature before making the curls.

Upstate NY Native March 8, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Not too sure about the cake – I am not a fan of whipped cream “icing” of any sort. But the Irish Cream Chocolate Chip Cupcakes look DIVINE!!

Jennifer March 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm

What is Dream Whip?

That looks delicious. We have an Aldi in our area, and I’ve noticed they sell their own brand of Irish Cream (funny, for a German store, LOL) so I’ll have to pick up a bottle and try it in this cake.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie March 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Mmmmm now you have me craving some Irish cream :)

Jane March 10, 2011 at 8:31 am

This cake looks darn good. As for Dream Whip, I had no idea they still sold that stuff! Talk about a blast from the packaged foods past! I loved it as a kid.

Claudia March 13, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I made this today and it was great. I only made a half recipe of the filling and just put it between the cake layers, not on top, then covered the cake with the whipped cream. Everyone loved it.

Anna March 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Claudia, thanks so much for the review! I’m glad to know the half version worked. For the cake mix, did you just weigh out half a box? I’ve done that before.

Miranda March 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I made this into cupcakes with the mousse as the filling. Topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting! They were a hit!