Three Scone Recipes for Culture Day

To celebrate “Culture Day” at Fuzz’s school, I spent the early part of the morning baking a variety of scones. Our culture was Welsh,  but our scones were British style rather than Welsh, which are flatter, round, and traditionally cooked on a baking stone or hot surface. I was going to take a plug-in griddle to school and let the kids make them, but in hindsight I’m glad I baked the scones ahead of time so that Fuzz’s grandfather could spend more time pointing Wales out on the map and making them try to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

But back to the scones — we had three kinds.

The pumpkin scone recipe from Alice’s Tea Cup.

pumpkin scone

A blueberry variation of sour cream chocolate chip scones (swap out brown sugar for more granulated, add a teaspoon of lemon zest and use blueberries instead of chocolate chips).

blueberry scone

And my favorite recipe for cinnamon oat scones which I almost always make with Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips.

cinnamon oat scones

Of the three, the kids liked the pumpkin the most

And yes! We had bagpipes! I’ve seen more bagpipes this month than I usually see in a year, which is a very good thing.

man in kilt with bagpipes

It was a fun morning and even better knowing that at the end of the day, Spring Break would begin.

Fuzz

Comments

1. corinne says

Normally I swap chocolate chips IN rather than out, but I’ll admit those blueberry scones look pretty tempting!

2. Kathy says

I have made the cinnamon oat scones multiple times since you first posted it, and it’s one of my favorites too. I’ve made some variations depending on what I had on hand, including replacing the cream and some of the milk with vanilla yogurt.

I love pumpkin, cinnamon, and blueberry! Never made scones before, but will add to list since I’ve got all the ing. and these look too tempting to pass up.

How cute! Every scone looks delicious. I love the cinnamon ones that I got when you originally posted them. I’ve been wanting to make the pumpkin too.

5. Pat R says

Those bluebery scones look amazing…….that’s the one I’ll try first. We love scones, and I can never make enough of them in this home!

Pat, here’s the recipe for the blueberry scones. I used the sour cream chocolate chip recipe but made a few changes.

Sour Cream Blueberry Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour (9 oz)
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    8 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold and cut into bits
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    about a teaspoon of lemon zest
    1 cup blueberries (more or less)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl.

Scatter the cut up butter over flour mixture and using your fingers or a pastry cutter or fork, work the butter into the flour until flour mixture is very coarse.

In a small bowl, whisk sour cream, egg, vanilla and lemon zest until smooth. Stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Add the blueberries, being careful not to squash them! When dough just starts to come together, turn it onto a clean surface and shape it into a 7 inch circle. If you prefer, you can make 2 rectangles. Slice the circle into 8 triangles or slice each rectangle into 4 triangles. Arrange triangles a few inches apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature. This recipe makes 6 to 8 scones. I made 8, so if you make 6 they will be larger and might need extra time in the oven.

7. Jackie says

I made the blueberry scones last night and they were so delicious. Really moist. I made mine in the food processor. I thought a couple of pulses might mix the blueberries in. It shredded them but that turned out to be a good thing. It spread the blueberry taste throughout the dough. And picky daughter actually ate two in quick succession. With whole berries she tends to either pick them out or eat around them. I added a little sprinkle of large sugar crystals on each and they looked like something you’d buy in a fancy bakery.