World’s Largest Bake Sale

If you’re in New York City tomorrow, make sure you stop by Grand Central Station for The World’s Largest Bake Sale. Hosted by Sandra Lee, this Pyrex sponsored fundraiser will feature desserts from 30 of New York’s most respected chefs and restaurants.  While the Grand Central event will benefit the New York Food Bank, it will also act as an impetus for ancillary events going on across the nation raising money for more local food banks.

WHO: Sandra Lee, Emeril Lagasse, Rosanna Scotto, Duff Goldman and chefs from 30 participating restaurants and food shops
WHAT: The World’s Largest Bake Sale to Benefit Food Bank for New York City
WHEN: March 29, 11:30 am-7:00 pm *Photo opportunity with Sandra Lee and Emeril Lagasse presenting a check to Food Bank for New York City at 11:30 AM*
WHERE: Vanderbilt Hall, Grand Central Terminal

Sandra Lee

Sandra Lee, who is committed to providing support to America’s food banks, organized this event in collaboration with her friends and fellow food industry icons Mario Batali, Lidia Bastianich, Emeril Lagasse and Rosanna Scotto. Emeril and Rosanna will be in attendance at the New York event on March 29, as will Sandra’s fellow Food Network star, Duff Goldman from “Ace of Cakes”.

If you’d like to host your own bake sale, check out Share Our Strength’s Great American Bake Sale and find out how you can help end hunger in America.

And if you’re looking for ideas of things to bake, read on for a few ideas.

Jumbo Rice Krispies Treats

Rice Krispy Treats

Chocolate Chip Brownie Pillows

bake-sale-cookies-003

Best Yet M&M Cookies

MM cookies 001

Masterpiece White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies

masterpiececookiesforblog.jpg

Fudge Brownies made with Dark Cocoa Powder (the dark color gets people’s attention!)

Comments

Veggiegirl, sorry you’re going to miss it but have fun in April!

T, that would be great! I want to hear all about it.

2. Jennifer says

That’s a great idea, a bake sale benefiting a food bank. But I must admit, I can’t stand to watch Sandra Lee. I think she’s admirable and all, personally, but as a tv personality, I can’t stand her.

3. Louise says

I’m a Master Gardener at a community garden. I’ve suggested to our gardeners that we share the excess of our harvests with a local food bank or soup kitchen, and I’m going to see if I can make that happen.

Great round up of bake sale goodies. Have you ever tried making granola and bagging it up for a bake sale? I wonder how that would go over if the audience were primarily adults and young adults?

Sue, I once put out individual packages of granola at a school event but have never tried it at a bake sale. We’re having one this weekend so maybe I’ll try it. I personally *would* buy granola at a bake sale because it’s always fun to see how other people make it and it’s something you don’t have to eat right away.

If you do that let me know how it goes. My daughter has done some bake sale fund raising the past few years and they’ve had a lot of requests for gluten free and vegan options. Granola could be made that way, and you make a great point about being able to eat it later. That would work really well at my daughter’s event.

I went to the bake sale today – it was actually really great. By the time I got there, all the “celebrity chefs” were gone, but the food was so good and there was a huge selection.

Sophia, thanks for the report! Glad to hear it went well. I’m going to see if I can find some more reports on how the bake sale went.

9. Rachel says

Wonderful but definitely not the world’s largest – I have to believe that honor goes to mom Gretchen Holt Witt. Her first bake sale, which was the catalyst for Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, along with the help of 250 volunteers raised about $400,000 when they baked 96,000 cookies! Inspired by her son Liam’s diagnosis of neuroblastoma, a deadly childhood cancer (Liam passed on Jan 24th at the age of 6), Cookies for Kids’ Cancer has now raised more than $2.5 million towards childhood cancer research. The story is on their website and it’s amazing.