Five Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

My house is a mess right now. I have this fantasy of calling a maid service to come clean up it up,  but it’s messy to the point where I need to clean up for the maid service. Given the situation, rather than bake today I’m going to share my five latest favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes with you (just in time for Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, which is tomorrow).

Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies are the best of both worlds. This recipe is from two years ago — an oldie but a goody.

bake-sale-cookies-003

Joanne Chang’s Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from The Boston Globe was so good.   Interestingly, the book version (Flour Bakery Cookbook) is different than the recipe in this article, but the cookies from the news article were so good I’m sticking with that version.

chocolate chip cookies

Tate’s Bake Shop recipe Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies — I’ve been baking small batches of these for myself as of late and had to put them on the list.

thin-chocolate-chip-cookies

Pat’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are always a hit. This recipe makes a bunch.

Chocolate Chip Bars

And last but not least, Cindy D’s Crunchy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. They’re made with shortening, but in this recipe it’s what gives the cookies their hearty, crunchy texture (that and the oats).  I doubt you’ll miss the butter.

crunchy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Comments

1. Louise says

Anna, I just looked at the CindyD cookies. The ingredients are like Frog Commissary Oatmeal CC Walnut Cookies, except FC uses softened unsalted butter, 2 T milk, 1 tsp salt, 2 1/2 c old-fashioned oats(not instant), and 1 1/2 cups walnuts. The chips can be doubled. These are initially soft and chewy, but the next day are hard and crunchy, depending on your preference. And, for fat cookies, you chill the dough overnight. These were really popular cookies at FC, a popular Philly restaurant 25 years ago.

2. CindyD says

Just bought some of the Nestle’s dark chocolate chips and have to decide whether to make my usual (very flattered they’re still on your list, thanks!) or try one of the others. Very hard decision!

i forgot that you had a Tate’s recipe up here.
    it’s literally been ages since i’ve made a crispy cookie.
    did you try those browned butter cc cookies from test kitchen?
    those are next on my list. i’m sure you did already, i mean this is cookie madness after all.
    how are you feeling? better?

4. Darlene says

The recipe you posted almost 2 years ago (Lee’s Chocolate Chip Cookie) from Boston pastry chef Lee Napoli is a favorite of everyone who tries it . Maybe its the melted butter, 3 types of sugar, and extra egg yolk that makes it so special. Now that I’m reminded how delicious they are, I think I’ll have to whip up a batch to celebrate Chocolate Chip Cookie Day.

I like my chocolate chip cookies thick, crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside, but I can never make them.. Whenever I make them they end up harder and my family likes them that way. I didn’t know 5/15/11 was national ccc day. I will need to try one of these! It seems the more brown sugar to white sugar makes them softer…..

Darlene, I almost put Lee’s on the list! That’s a good one too.

The New York Times cookie is a good one, but not very convenient because it requires two types of flour and the overnight chill. It’s a good cookie, but I rarely have both of the flours on hand and don’t like the waiting period.

7. Louise says

Let’s not forget Alton Brown’s “The Chewy” and the UNIX guy, W. Richard Stevens’ “Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie”. I always have bread flour on hand, and don’t mind the overnight dough chilling while anticipating a great cc cookie.

8. Jenny W (The Housewife Project) says

I bookmarked this, as I’m always on the look-out for a new favorite chocolate chip cookie!

The NYT cookie is my adapted go-to cookie and I never chill the dough overnight. Sometimes (more for my own convenience) I chill the dough a few hours, but sometimes not at all and the cookies are great every time. Everyone begs me for more of those cookies AND the recipe. I keep the two flours on hand just for those cookies. I’ve had people offer to pay me to make them some of those.

Yesterday I made some ccc’s from a recipe at a SLC country club. They are just okay. I’d have rather have made mine. Aw, it’s still fun to try different ones.

10. Yet another Anna says

I’ve been making the NYT cookie for a while now, using far less chocolate, far less salt. I do use the waiting period, because in the interest of science, I baked cookies from the same batch of dough over the course of several days, and I find that I do prefer the flavor of the cookies baked from the older dough.

I only use a cup of chips (Guittard milk chocolate, lately), and not much salt.

I like being able to get a good taste of the caramel-y base dough, and with tons of chocolate, it gets lost in the shuffle.

Hi YAA–I use a good dark chocolate chip in my NYT adaptation and that seems to be what people love the most. I never put the salt on top, but I do like using coarse salt in the dough.
    Oh so many possibilities! ;)