Organizing

by on May 26, 2011 · 11 comments

My kitchen junk drawer needs a good cleaning this morning, so it looks like today’s recipe is going to be late.

Junk Drawer

I’m thinking about mango pie. If you have a good recipe, let me know!

Published on May 26, 2011

Sue May 26, 2011 at 10:39 am

Gosh I have all kinds of similar tasks that I should do! Can’t help you with a Mango Pie recipe.
On a different note, in some shots your granite counter top reminds me of mine. Mine is called Golden Beach. Do you remember what yours is called?

Anna May 26, 2011 at 10:51 am

Sue, ours if Venetian Gold. It’s become quite popular now, but we still love it.

Linda May 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Don’t you want to just want to sweep all that junk into the trash? But you know you won’t, who know what might be in there.

Sue May 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Ah! I remember Venetian Gold. It was one of my final choices, but I went with the Golden Beach because the slabs that I had to choose from seemed a little warmer looking. I loved the Venetian Gold too.

Katrina May 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I like your canisters with the labels.
We have a junk drawer. Come on over when you’re done. I’ll make you some cookies. ;)

Magsie May 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I made this one monday, and I got rave reviews at work:
Probably all the sugar and butter. :)

Adam May 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I just bought a house, and pretty much stuck all the upgrades in the kitchen, dark cabinets and and floor and a bright white granite counter. I’m so excited :). However, after seeing your drawer, I’m terrified as to what I might find moving out of my room :).

Carole May 26, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Anna, go to http://www.foodgawker.com and enter mango pie in the search box. You will get several hits.

Gloria May 26, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Where are all the twist ties?? :^) I don’t know how I end up with dozens of them in my junk drawer! In a few weeks I will have all sorts of time to go through junk drawers of my own..and junk files, and garage junk…..so much junk!!!! Also more time to bake though!

Therese B. May 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm

GLAZE
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp. butter extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups confectioner’s sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms of two 9-inch loaf pans.
2. Mix together flour, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds, butter flavoring, oil, eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and almond flavoring. Pour into prepared pans.
3. Bake at 350 for one hour. Cool 5 minutes. Poke holes in top of loaves and pour glaze over.
4. To make glaze: Mix orange juice, 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring, 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Add enough confectioners sugar to make glaze.

This is one of the better recipes I have made in a long time. We have 3 people in our household…and managed to polish BOTH loaves within a week. Which is why I am in bootcamp at our YMCA…ha..ha.!

Louise May 27, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I don’t have a junk drawer in the kitchen, but part of my kitchen table looks just like that right now. :-(