Still at BlogHer in Georgia

Hello from the BlogHer Food Conference, where I’m soaking up information and meeting new people.

My secret plan of sneaking out to the Georgia Aquarium and catching the dolphin show hasn’t panned out, but Charlie Tuna is here and posed for a picture so I guess that makes up for it. And there are other interesting sponsors:  Quaker handed out cereal, Bob’s Red Mill is passing out couscous, Scharffen Berger is being very generous with their samples, the Mango people are holding a mango cutting competition, and representatives from the United Egg Producers are taking names of bloggers interested in touring hatcheries this fall.

Fine Cooking

But here’s why I’m posting this morning as I drink my hotel coffee and eat a Zone Perfect bar and dry Fiber One.

Fine Cooking Magazine gave us free copies of the April/May issue, and one feature is a step-by-step article on making French macarons. If you’ve been interested in making macarons but intimidated by the process, you have to take a look at this tutorial. I can’t wait to give it a try when I get home.  If you try them before I do, let me know!

Comments

I’ve never even had a macaron! I saw some recently at a bakery but they did not. look. good. I’ve seen enough photos on the web to have an idea of what they’re at least supposed to look like, so I passed on their sorry looking effort. Someday……

2. Robyn says

I’ve never tried a macaron, either. For the longest time I just thought people kept spelling “macaroon” wrong.

Making macarons are on my bucket list for this year. I have recently seen this blog posting about making them.
    But I’ve also just recently seen someone make them on the local noon news cooking segment, and now you point out this article. It’s a sign.
    I think the time has come. ;)
    Lets make them together. I hear (from this blog post and the news thing) that they aren’t as hard and intimidating to make as people think.
    But DANG they’re good.

After this conference, there’s nothing I’d like better than to be home in my kitchen making macarons. What a day.

Katrina, I’d love to make the macarons with you and anyone else up for a Fine Cooking Macaron making challenge! They usually post the recipes on their website so we can link to it.

I would love to get the Wolfies Rascal House recipe for coconut macaroons-they were the best macaroons I ever tasted. What’s the difference between macaroon and macaron?

Thanks for the links, Louise.
    I watched the video with Joanne Chang this morning. Very well done and I think she does well on camera. She should have a show.
    The cookies sure seem easy enough if you follow the instructions.

7. John says

The United Egg Producers is a discredited trade organization with a sordid history of consumer fraud and animal cruelty. The “UEP Certified” program allows hens to be confined in cages that provide each animal less space than a sheet of paper to spend her life. More at http://www.humanesociety.org/uep