Light a Candle for Lumos Chocolate Chunk Cookies

by on June 2, 2011 · 13 comments

Today’s cookie is in honor of  Light a Candle for Lumos, JK Rowling’s Charity which raises funds and awareness of children in institutionalized care in Eastern and Central Europe; many of whom celebrate their birthday “June 1,  International Children’s Day” because no one knows when it really is.

Chocolate Chunk Cookies

The reason a cookie is involved is because sweets and treats play a role in Lumos’s latest fund raising initiative.  They’re asking bakers around the world to bake cookies and share them with friends, co-workers, family while spreading the word about the Light a Candle For Lumos web page.

Along with creating an easy way to contribute to the cause, they’ve done an amazing job putting together a collection of tempting recipes by UK celebrity chefs.  And that, of course, is where I got this cookie recipe!

This Chocolate Chunk Cookie was created by Celia Brooks, a British food personality who must love chocolate as much as I do because she managed to fit  a half pound of chocolate into a recipe that makes 12-14 cookies.  And they’re good, too.  The recipe is easy to fix if you have a chocolate craving, and I like Celia’s method of forming the dough into a log so that you can just slice off cookies as needed.  But make sure you check out the other recipes too.

Examples include:
– Crunchy Nut Apple Cake Bars from Ainsley Harriet
– Sticky Banana and Chocolate Tart from Gino D’Acampo
– Chocolate Nut Squares from Jane Asher
– Chocolate slice – Ed Baines
– Berry and Yoghurt Sponge Finger Trifle from Peter Gordon

And there are more good ones on the list.  If you need any help converting the metric in some of them, shoot me an email and I’ll do my best.  The chocolate chunk cookie recipe was pretty straightforward.

Published on June 2, 2011

Lisa Ernst June 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

The minute I laid eyes on the photo, I knew this was exactly my kind of chocolate chunk cookie, completely loaded with chunks! I’ll have to bookmark this recipe. When I make a full batch of cookies these days, I always form them into logs and refrigerate overnight. It seems to deepen the flavors.

Jersey Girl Cooks June 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Great cause and nice cookie! Love the picture!

Adam June 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm

That’s an incredibly awesome amount of chocolate for a batch of cookies like that. I had never heard of this charity before (I’m somewhat oblivious :)). It’s definitely a great way to make people aware.
And my tip for conversions is to just google it. For example go to Google and type in: 100g to oz
It will give you the conversion lickety-split :).

Tracy June 2, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Aww, what a sweet post about a good cause. And any cookie that packs 1/2 pound of chocolate in a dozen cookies is my kind a cookie.

Linda June 2, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I will try these, along with the recipes from Jane Asher. Those of us of a certain age will remember her as (Sir) Paul McCartney’s girlfriend back in the 1960’s. BTW, for any drop, molded or even rolled cookie batch I make, if I don’t need the entire batch right then, I shape the dough, set in on cookie sheets (on non-stick aluminum foil) and put them in the freezer. When they’re hard, I remove them from the cookie sheet, put them in a freezer storage bag, and back in the freezer. That way I can take out as many as I want and bake them. At any given time I’ll have 3 or 4 different kinds of dough in the freezer. I’ve also lined pans with foil (leaving long ends of foil), filled them with batches of brownie dough and froze them. After they freeze solid, I just lift the foil (and dough) out of the pan, wrap it and put it back in the freezer. When I want to bake them, I just take it out of the freezer, set it back in the pan, and let it defrost a bit before I bake it. Depending on the particular cookie, some go straight from freezer to oven, some I let defrost a little. This all comes in handy for last minute snacks or cookie cravings at 9 pm!

jess☆ June 2, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Ohh that is such a sweet idea, I can’t believe I hadn’t heard of this!! Your picture looks incredible – my kinda cookie, more chocolate than dough!! Linda – love the idea of freezing them and taking them out as the cravings hit! Thankyou for that!

Paula B. June 3, 2011 at 6:06 am

What a lovely idea, echoing all the sentiments before mine. Who could resist this chocolatey cookie and such a worthy cause. Will spread the word and the sweets this weekend, “the girls” have a big get together! Thank you for passing this on.

Barbara June 3, 2011 at 7:25 am

I’ve never heard of this, What a nice cause. And your cookie is a winner. Ummmm…is there any dough in there? :)

Nicole M. June 3, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for sharing this site. I’m going to try Ainsley Harriot’s Crunchy Nut Apple Cake Bars this weekend!

Steven June 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm

If you aren’t very familiar with the method of making a “cookie log” and cutting off the ends, I have a recipe for Ice Box Cookies that is kind of interesting. You’re supposed to make a big recipe and bake a few at a time.

Katrina June 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm

The more chocolate the merrier for me. ;) Gotta go check out that website.

Gloria June 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I am always more motivated to bake when there is a good cause involved!

Donna June 4, 2011 at 12:06 am

What a great charity and a yummy looking cookie to boot. Just wanted to let you know that I’ve bestowed the Versatile Blogger Award on you. Stop by my site to check it out.