No-Bake Grape Nuts Peanut Butter Bars

A few weeks ago I saw an ad for cookies made with Grape Nuts. At the time, I didn’t even like Grape Nuts, but I was so intent on trying the recipe that I forgot about my childhood Grape Nuts aversion and threw a box into the basket. Flash forward to now, where over the course of the past few weeks I’ve developed a raging Grape Nuts addiction. Well, maybe not raging, but I’ve really started liking them to the point where I’m eating them every single day in some form or fashion. Today, that form/fashion happened to be a no-bake bar cookie.

Grape Nuts Peanut Butter Bars

Thanks goodness for easy no-bake recipes because it’s hot here, I haven’t had the will to bake, yet I’ve been craving sugar like made.   These bars do the trick. They’re like eating a peanut butter candy bar with a little fiber added.

What a nice return on an investment in a box of cereal I thought I didn’t like.

No-Bake Grape Nuts Peanut Butter Bars

1/4 generous cup of peanut butter**
1/3 cup white corn syrup
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/3 generous cups Grape Nuts

Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick foil (or use regular foil and spray it with cooking spray.

In a medium sized microwave-safe bowl, mix together the peanut butter, corn syrup and granulated sugar. Microwave for two minutes, stopping to stir after one minute. Stir in the cereal, then dump it all into your lined pan and press to make a bar. Let it cool, then slice into 8 squares.

**I used Skippy Natural with Honey

Comments

It’s finally springing here–perfectly gorgeous today, about 65 degrees. I’m not missing that Midwest heat I know is happening. Sorry it’s been too hot to even bake. No bake treats are definitely the best for that heat! I love Grape Nuts.

2. Gina says

Yum – these sound good. They already have a decent amount of sugar in them, but I still think they’re screaming for a handful (or two) of mini chocolate chips. :) You can’t go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate. I’ll be trying these. Thanks for the recipe & review.

I used to love grape nuts, but they are too crunchy for my teeth now. I’ll bet they soften up nice in this bar though!

Hmm. Really? Very interesting. Not hot here, finally we are getting nice weather for a change: no snow, no rain and no humidity–it’s lifechanging. I need to get back int he kitchen and bake, it’s been a few days now.

I’d forgotten that no-bake bars and cookies existed. In this Florida heat I think I’ll start turning to them often. I don’t have any grape nuts in the house but I might just try this with some Raisin Bran tonight! Darn, no corn syrup either. Raisin Bran and honey it is!

I’m guessing it’s an American thing and I’m an Aussie, so I have to ask… what are “grape nuts”?! I’m intrigued…

Jess, it’s cereal of crunchy little balls of wheat and barley made by Post. I’m sure there’s an Australian equivalent, but I don’t know what it is! CW Post named it Grape Nuts because he thought it smelled like grapes as it cooked.

Ohhhh I see!! Sounds really yum actually, I’m a fan of grape flavouring! Must begin hunting an Aussie version of it.. hehe

9. Sarah says

Oooh, I love grape nuts! My favorite comfort food in the winter is a bowl of grape nuts and milk, heated in the microwave till it softens to a porridge-like consistency, and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Mmmmmm so good!

I’m relieved to hear I’m not the only one feeling the heat. Katrina, your Cosmic Brownies look great! I may try them today.

Gina, I know what you mean about adding the chocolate chips. For some reason, I didn’t feel compelled to add them to this recipe.

Gloria, they soften up a bit in these bars, but they’re still pretty chewy.

Dawn, wow! Life changing weather? Cool.

Mackenzie, cheesecake is one of those things that sounds so great in this weather, but just not practical to bake.

Christine, let me know how your Raisin Bran experiment works out.

Jess, CW Post thought they gave off a grape-y aroma, but I wouldn’t describe them as grape-y tasting. They have a malt and barley flavor.

Sarah and Louise, thanks for the new ideas. Louise, I think I could turn on the oven long enough to try that custard.

11. Martha says

I like GrapeNuts but only after they soak in milk for 10 minutes or so. Other cereals – Wheaties, Rice Krispies, are fine immediately. How about a survey? Do you like your cereal crunchy or soft?

12. Gina says

I made these last night. I used Jif peanut butter and would therefor decrease the sugar in the original recipe next time. I really wanted to put mini chocolate chips in, but I knew that would be a problem because the mixture was so hot while being mixed. Instead I put a layer of the Grape Nuts mixture into the pan, spread a handful of mini chocolate chips, and then put another layer of the Grape Nuts mixture on top. This also keeps the chocolate hidden inside so it doesn’t melt on your fingers when you eat them. :) Thanks for the recipe. We thought they were simple, quick, and tasty!

glad Louise posted that grapenut custard recipe. in my teens, i used to work at a mom-&-pop restaurant that had grapenut custard as a dessert and my entire shift would consist of restraining the urge to go and sneak spoonfuls.

when i go back for family reunions, i always make a point of getting a grapenut custard ice cream cone at one of the many new england ice cream stands that offer it