Almond Oat and Trail Mix Bars

by on July 28, 2011 · 9 comments

I was playing around with almond paste, you know – like everyone does on a hot summer day in Texas, and had half a roll left I needed to use up. I figured Odense, the people who make the only brand of almond paste I know of, could help. They did. I hadn’t been to their website in a while, but it looks like they’ve re-modeled and added a lot of new recipes, including this one, which is a blondie made with almond paste and trail mix.

almond trail mix

Here’s the recipe. It’s fairly unique and was a fun way to use almond paste, the flavor is strong. I halved it and would recommend doing so until you’re sure you like the bars. Also, be careful what type of trail mix you use. I bought some oddball blend with cranberries, seeds, chocolate chips and peanuts. The peanuts were weird with the almonds, so I’d avoid those in the future.

Published on July 28, 2011

Gloria July 28, 2011 at 6:33 pm

This looks like a good way to use up the almond paste I purchased, but forgot what for! I’ve never used it. Now I remember. Sue from Basically Baked posted an apricot bar and I think it requires almond paste- I still want to make it.

Louise July 28, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Solo also makes almond paste. It comes in a can instead of a tube. I’ve bought both.

Barbara July 29, 2011 at 6:43 am

I love almond paste, Anna, so my ears perked up when I read those words. The trail mix would be key, and it’s not one of my favorite items. Perhaps there’s a way around that by putting together your own.

Anna July 29, 2011 at 7:44 am

Barbara, of course! There are so many variations on trail mix these days. At my store we have a bulk section with about 5 or 6 different kinds. I like playing with the different blends, but you could just as easily use your own.

Sue July 29, 2011 at 8:54 am

Well Gloria the recipe for those apricot bars came from….. drumroll….. Cookie Madness! I believe Anna found it in an old issue of Bon Appetit. You should definitely make them, and then you can make these with the leftover almond paste!
These look good Anna, and a little different than the typical blondie or trail mix bar.

Sue July 29, 2011 at 10:15 am

Good grief! I just clicked on the Odense link. There are some really great looking recipes!! If I didn’t have to work I would dive right in and start experimenting. That is… if I could figure out which recipe to try first!

Adam July 29, 2011 at 10:22 am

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a trail mix with chocolate in it, granted, I probably never looked :). I’m a “regular” trail mix type person and I eat all the banana chips first :). I’ve never used almond paste, though I have passed it a few times in the grocery store. Does it actually taste like almonds or some type of almond concoction?

Cookie Sleuth July 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm

These are a great summer snack! Thanks for the tip on the almond paste.

nancy baggett July 29, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Ha, ha–yes, I’m sure lots & lots of folks are playing around with almond paste on a hot Texas day! Anyway, the bars look really good–almond paste always lend great flavor. Thanks for posting!