Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookie Base

by on July 31, 2011 · 13 comments

Way back in 2007 I posted a Chocolate Chunk Cookie with Oreos in it. A lot of bakers were stuffing Oreo chunks into cookies back then, and one of the recipes being used as “base” was from the Nielsen-Massey recipe collection.

oreo chunk cookie for blog.jpg

I thought I’d mention this because people people appreciated the link posted earlier to the  Odense Almond Paste recipe collection, and like Odense, I think the little collection on Nielsen Massey’s site is often overlooked. So check it out!

Nielsen Massey’s chocolate chip cookie recipe is a good one, with lots of ridges and folds.  It’s not particularly buttery, but that makes it a good vehicle for carrying chunks of other things.  They also  have a really simple, Crisp Butter Cookie (which I might try today), and they have a recipe for French Macaroons, for those of you who like making them from scratch.

But back to the Oreo chunk cookie, here it is again traveling to the future from 2007!

Oreo Chunk Cookies

12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (8 1/2 oz by weight)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
10-12 broken (into halves and thirds) Oreos plus some cut up dark chocolate

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter and sugars until smooth. Add vanilla and eggs and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, soda, salt, baking powder and cream of tartar. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in oreos by hand.

Divide the dough into about 12 equal sections and shape into balls – try not to crush up the Oreos too much. Place dough balls 3 inches apart (6 per cookie sheet) on parchment lined or non-stick cookie sheet and flatten tops slightly. You don’t want to flatten it too much, you just don’t want it to look like a ball. Press pieces of dark chocolate into the ball. Bake for about 15 minutes or until brown around the edges. Cool slightly on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to set: remove from baking sheet. Cool on wire rack. Makes about 12 big cookies

Published on July 31, 2011

Lisa Ernst July 31, 2011 at 11:16 am

This is a good looking cookie. I’m not much for Oreos but I can see this as a good base for other goodies, especially of a chocolate nature.

Lee July 31, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Looks so yummy, i love cookies

Gloria July 31, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Looks like a fun cookie to eat-you get an Oreo surprise! Only problem is you have a lot of Oreos left over calling your name!!!

Molly July 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Oh my goodness. I have a weakness for anything with Oreo’s….

Lee July 31, 2011 at 1:33 pm

All the goodies are calling MY NAME,LOL

Kerstin July 31, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Oreos make everything better – I need to try these!

Sue July 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm

This is an interesting recipe with baking soda, baking powder AND cream of tartar! Also interesting that it isn’t as buttery as some other recipes. I too would be afraid of having an entire pack of Oreos around as they are one of the few store shelf cookies I love. (I love Golden Oreos too.) I would probably just buy one of those little packages of Oreo bites to bake with. That way I wouldn’t have the home made cookies and the leftover Oreos looking at me.

emlod10 August 1, 2011 at 12:11 am

yum! there is a place in Georgetown, DC called Wisemillers that sells these, delicious!

Martha in KS August 1, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Anna,
My aunt & I are going to visit Austin in early Oct. Do you have any suggestions for economical hotels & which part of town to stay in – N, S, E, W? Also restaurant recommendations please.

Thanks

Julia August 2, 2011 at 10:01 am

I love anything with oreos in! I just bought a load of them as well… coincidence? I think not.

I love your blog by the way! It has helped me through many a miserable work day for a couple of years now!

Sweets By Vicky August 2, 2011 at 10:19 am

I feel like I should be baking a batch of gluten free oreos just so I can bake these. They look so good. Imagine…a double cookie milkshake! phwoarrr.

Sweets-n-Treats by Gina March 6, 2012 at 8:30 pm

What a great idea! It sounds like the perfect fun recipe to make with the kids. Can’t wait to try it :)

Anna March 6, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Gina, I hope you like it!

BTW, sorry this post was so late. I thought I’d published it, but I was alerted that the feed wasn’t working.