Cookie Madness Goes to the Emmy Awards

by on September 14, 2011 · 28 comments

Yo, yo, yo! Duncan Hines heard about my mad cake ball making skillz and sent over an invitation to attend some Emmy events.

cake ball

(Pause)

I know, right?  Like someone calls about going to the Emmy Awards every day???

If you can’t tell, I’m pretty excited.   It will be an inside look at how Duncan Hines operates as the official dessert sponsor of the Emmy Awards, plus a chance to share it all with you!  Photos are encouraged and I’m going to post as many pictures as possible even if it means staying up all night in the hotel room fiddling with my equipment.

cake ball

So keep in touch!  Follow @Cookie_Madness on Twitter and look for the hash tag #Duncanhines.

P.S.  If you’re wondering what’s in that cake ball, here’s the recipe:  Raspberry Red Velvet Truffle Pops.  I didn’t bother with the stick.

Published on September 14, 2011

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat September 14, 2011 at 9:21 pm

OMG that is so exciting! I can’t wait to see your photos and hear your stories!

Anna September 14, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I’ll post some just for you :). I’m sad about missing ACL Fest, though.

Emily September 14, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Have fun! Say hi to all the stars of Mad Men for me! :)

Anna September 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Will do! I hope they like cupcakes.

CindyD September 14, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Oh, wow! I caught the hint in Hollywood cheesecake and wondered if you were headed to California. This is cooler than I could have imagined. Have fun!!

Kerstin September 14, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Congrats Anna – how exciting, can’t wait to read all about it :)

Allison W September 15, 2011 at 5:48 am

Wow, that’s pretty exciting! Congratulations!

bakingblonde September 15, 2011 at 6:20 am

Congrats! What an exciting experience!

Lisa Ernst September 15, 2011 at 7:22 am

Congratulations! Be sure and post some photos of you in your Emmy gown!

jersey Girl Cooks September 15, 2011 at 8:03 am

Wow, Anna! How exciting! have fun and I will be sure to follow you on twitter.

Gloria September 15, 2011 at 9:12 am

Go Anna!!! Your STAR is born again!!! Congratulations! Your family must be proud of you…I know we all are!!!! Is there a baking Emmy?? I know there is a baking Emma…;)

Lisa W September 15, 2011 at 10:25 am

Oh no! Soon you’ll never speak to us non-celebs again! Congrats, Anna. This sounds like such fun.

Louise September 15, 2011 at 10:35 am

That’s great news. Have fun, and remember you can “sleep when you get home”. :-)

Trisha September 15, 2011 at 11:56 am

They look great. I would love to hear the trick to making these balls w/o the stick and still having the coating perfect so the balls are still round :) think about it!!

Olga September 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm

wwooowww.. baking and series.. like a dream come true.. muchhassssssssssssss
felicidades!!!

Anna September 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Trisha, notice how thick the coating is? I dipped it more than once and then covered any holes or cracks with red icing. I’m a cake ball cheater! You should have seen all my other ones. Argh. Actually, I think a lot of it has to do with using the right coating. I used some grocery store brand of white melting chocolate, but the Wilton Candy Melts are supposed to melt smoother and be easier to use. Anyway, to get roundness, I coated the ball by dipping it in a toothpick and then waving it around a little so that the bottom wouldn’t spread to much when I set it down on the parchment. And the first coat was very thin — just enough to make a shell. For the second coat, I just spooned white chocolate over it all and kind of brushed it all around.

Gosh, I’m not sure my advice is very helpful. I should take a video of myself making cake balls so you can see the chaos. Bakerella makes it looks so streamlined and neat! What I do know is the more balls you make, the better they start looking. So buy a bunch of melting chocolate and just practice.

Sherry September 15, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Anna: I’m so excited for you—I can’t wait to see more pics of your food jewels!!

Katrina September 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm

HAVE FUN!

Erin September 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Nom nom nom nom. All anyone does these days is make cake pops. I want to try to make them when we move.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie September 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

How exciting! Have fun!

Katherine September 15, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Congratulations on your invitation to the Emmy Awards! How exciting! Have a great time.

Karen @ Just Call Me Grace September 15, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for sharing above that you used white MELTING chocolate. I used Ghirardelli white chips and when I melted them, they got stiff quickly. Have a wonderful time at the Emmys. blessings, k

Upstate NY Native September 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I went to Sam’s tonight and they were selling them in packages of 6 or 8 in their prepackaged bakery section by their cookie trays. Congratulations on your invitation. I can’t wait to read about it and view your pictures.

Louise September 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm

We want to see a photo of Anna as proof she’s actually at the Emmys. Maybe with trays and trays of desserts. :-)

beth September 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Good for you! This is the closest I’ll ever get to the Emmys. We want a trip report! Enjoy.

vanillasugarblog September 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm

why am I the last to know this?
i saw your tweet about eating at pinkberry and wondered why you’re in cali.
lucky you!
i just wish i could be in cali, our temp is 50 degrees :-( not happy
but seriously, have fun anna.
how many cakeballs do you have to make?

Louise September 16, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Oh how exciting, Anna!!! You and Jesse are just going to have a ball!!! (pun intended:) I can’t wait to see and hear your take on the whole Emmy thing!!! Way coooool….

Paula B. September 17, 2011 at 6:36 am

How cool is that! Have fun, can’t wait to hear all the behind the scenes details. Just saw an ad on t.v. last night for recipes that start with Duncan Hines boxed mixes, will have to investigate further.