Honey and Orange Scones (Plus a Dog Picture!)

Fuzz and I made these in an attempt to use up some oranges we bought earlier in the week.  And while we typically don’t love orange flavor in bread nor honey flavor in large amounts, the two flavors balanced each other out and tasted great.  What was really special was the texture.  Unlike heavy, biscuit-like scones, the cream made these very soft and light, plus they’re really easy to make — no pastry cutter or food processor required.  They’re also on the sweet side, so while you could add a little jelly, you might be better off going with butter.  Wait, that sounded bossy.  Sorry.  Put whatever you like on your scone.  One of these days I’m going to try clotted cream.  In all of our years of making and eating scones, we’ve never once tasted it.

Honey Orange Scones

Honey and Orange Scones

1 3/4 cups (8 oz/228 grams) all-purpose flour
2 scant tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon heavy cream
1/4 scant cup honey
1/2 teaspoon orange zest — we used zest from a “Cutie”
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
a little extra cream plus some sparkly or coarse sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and have ready a parchment lined baking sheet.

In a mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Make a hole in the middle of the flour mixture and add the cream, honey, zest and vanilla.  Mix the wet ingredients together in their little hole, then mix everything together with a spoon until you get a soft dough – be careful not to over-work it so your scones will be light.  On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a circle about 8 inches in diameter.   Cut the circle into 8 wedges and arrange the wedges a few inches apart on the baking sheet.  Brush tops with a little additional cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.

On a floured work surface, shape dough into a circle about 6 to 8 inches in diameter.  Cut that circle into triangles and arrange the triangles a few inches apart on the baking sheet.  Brush with a little additional cream and sprinkle top with sparkling or coarse sugar.  Bake at 425F for 10-12 minutes.

Since it’s the holidays, here’s the latest photo of HAL the dog. Isn’t he cute? He’s waiting for me to throw him some scone.

HAL the dog

We still haven’t figured out what he is, but signs point to Blue Heeler Border Collie Mix. I won’t say he’s smarter than Lizzie because Lizzie’s special, but he’s more obedient and open to learning and improving his skills. Lately, we’ve been working on howling like a wolf. I’ve never had a dog that could howl before, but Fuzz was playing the harmonica and he just started doing it. Now we’re getting to the point where he can do it on command.

Okay, back to baking.

P.S. Sorry there’s no picture of Lizzie, but I couldn’t get her to look at the camera this morning.

Comments

I love scones, and this looks like a wonderful, no-fuss recipe–I can’t wait to try it. Despite living in England for nearly two years, I think I had clotted cream only once, in a restaurant. It’s not an ‘everyday food’ but I have to admit I love ultra-rich dairy products. I hope you had a wonderful birthday! Hal is adorable, and good luck keeping the border collie in him intellectually stimulated! (I am sure Fuzz is up to the task!)

2. Mary Lynn says

My Mom loves scones. Perfect timing, too, since tomorrow is her birthday. Love Hal. He is so cute. Our Whippet howls when the phone rings..(only if she thinks no one is around will she howl)

We go through Cuties in our house SO fast I wouldn’t be able to make something with them. ;)
    And HAL kind of looks like an Aussie, too. But Collies and Aussie seem similar to me. Looks and sounds like a great dog.

4. stephanie says

If you love thick whipped cream you will love clotted cream. I still have dreams about it. Thanks for the scone recipe. I have a bunch of oranges too from Costco that I need to use up.

The scones look delicious…love the addition of the colored sugar! I am an absolute sucker for dogs. Hal is adorable…he looks a bit like an Aussie. Just toooo cute!

what a cutie! growing up we had a 1/2 blue heeler and 1/2 australian shepherd named freckles that looked very similar. she had “freckles” on her tummy! cheers~

7. Melissa J says

Clotted cream is Absolutely Fabulous, You must try, go have tea someplace wonderfull and try it. Love scones, but clotted cream takes them to a whole new level

8. Jackie says

Only have clotted cream in the UK. Preferably in Devon or Cornwall. I’m from Devon and the stuff they sell over here in the US in jars just doesn’t compare. They serve it with everything. You can even buy an ice cream in a cone with clotted cream on top. Yum!

9. nancy k says

Hal looks so much like a Border Collie…he is so handsome. Borders are super smart and love to have “jobs”. The fact that he is a ready and willing student is no surprise. Thanks for sharing the picture.

10. Erin says

Hi there, this is like, 2 years after this post, but I think your dog might be my dog’s brother!! Mine is a Aussie Shepherd/Blue Heeler/Border Collie that we got from an Amish farm in Ohio, and literally looks identical to Hal!! Let me know if you want me to send you a pic!