Alton Brown’s Lentil Cookies

by on January 15, 2012 · 7 comments

After making a taco recipe that called for lentils instead of beef, I wanted to use more of them and (finally) tried Alton Brown’s Lentil Cookies.  If you’ve never seen the recipe, it’s on Food TV’s website and it has great reviews.  With lentils, oatmeal and whole wheat pastry flour, it’s a recipe with some nutritional value, and while it does call for butter, I figured if I liked the cookies I could try them again with something like I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter or Smart Balance.  But first I made the cookies as Alton Brown directs, with minor changes.

lentil cookies

– used chocolate chips instead of dried fruit
– left out the coconut (because I forgot it)
– and sprinkled cinnamon sugar over the cookie dough before baking the balls of dough.
– halved the recipe

We all liked them. They had a dense, crumbly, scone-like texture and weren’t at all cake-like.  Would I make them again? At first I thought I would not and that they were just going to be a novelty one-time thing, but after eating the cookies over a period of days, it seems they improve with age.  Plus I mentioned I was going to try the recipe with a butter alternative so there’s that.  If you’re a big lentil fan, try these soon.  If you’ve never baked lentils in your life, I’d also say try these soon because you’ll be able to say you’ve made lentils.  Just don’t let the smell of the boiling lentils put you off the cookies.

If you missed it, here’s another link to the original recipe.

Lentil Cookies

Published on January 15, 2012

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet January 15, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Interesting, would never have thought about lentils.

I'm At Home Baking January 15, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Oh ummm, very interesting “cookie” for sure. I’ve never liked lentils but had to check out what was in it. I think I will be passing on these, not sure anyone I know would want one,lol.

Angela January 15, 2012 at 6:04 pm

This makes some sense, and it would definitely make for a nutritious cookie. I might have to try these (with the chocolate chips, not the dried fruit).

Katrina January 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I have not heard of these or using lentils in a cookie, but I like the idea of adding something healthy to a treat. If I made these, I wouldn’t tell the people in my house and just see what they think of the cookies–and I love the idea of a little added chocolate.

Sue January 15, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I haven’t heard of these either and I’ve never baked with lentils although I have made lentils for savory recipes. These sound very interesting. I love that they actually get better over time.

Barbara January 16, 2012 at 7:09 am

I did a lentil dish this week and have some left over. I can’t imagine lentils in a cookie, but am willing to give it a try!

Louise January 17, 2012 at 6:49 am

In the winter I love a bowl of Lentil Soup served with Potato Pancakes. Like others, I never stumbled across AB’s recipe either. I’ll have to try it in the original version with dried fruit. I’m thinking diced apricots and maybe a little candied ginger.