Zero Bar Cookies

Today’s recipe is a cookie tribute to a candy bar loved by dads across the country.

Zero Bar Cookies

Or at least that’s the hasty conclusion I’ve drawn based on the fact Beth Colvin’s dad loved Zero Bars and mine did too.   So at least two dad’s like Zero Bars.

If you’ve never heard of Zero Bars, they are white chocolate coated peanut, caramel and almond nougat candy bars that come in a silver wrapper.  Back in the ’70s they were made by Leaf, but today they are a Hershey brand with what I suspect is a strong regional following.  I don’t remember seeing them when I lived in Chicago, NY or CT, but here in Austin you can find them in the checkout line at most H-E-B stores.

But for those of you who can’t find the bars anywhere, this cookie will do just fine! It’s a pretty simple cookie. The base is almost identical to the Toll House recipe, but the white chips, peanuts and almond extract make it taste completely different. The only place I’ve ever seen this recipe is The Advocate, so I’m providing a link. If you can’t get the link to work, let me know and I’ll post the recipe or email it to you.

Zero Bar Cookies

Comments

1. Carrie says

My dad loves Zero bars! He always keeps one in his glove box. I’ll have to make him these.

2. Mary says

Just HAVE to share my Zero bar thoughts. My family lived in Cincinnati until I was five, then we moved to Dallas … this was in the late 60’s / early 70’s. During the summer months Mom would take us kids to the YMCA pool a couple of times a week, and when we left the pool she’d let each of get a candy bar or chewing gum from the vending machine. I had never seen them before moving to Texas, but I would ALWAYS get a Zero bar. To this day, 40 years later, every time I think of or see a Zero bar I can “smell” the chlorine of the swimming pool! They’re hard to find here in the Washington D.C. area but every year my sister makes certain there’s a Zero bar slipped into my Christmas stocking :)

Mary, that’s a great story. It reminds me of a drink called Mr. Pibb which I used to drink at the pool. And yes, I can smell the chlorine when I think about Mr. Pibb. I’m glad to hear your sister is able to find them in DC, and what a sweet gesture.

I haven’t seen Aero bars in years. I wonder if I haven’t been paying attention or if they aren’t around anymore? I think I’d like these cookies better anyway. :)

I have never heard of these but they look good and i will make them. And thank you for the PLAIN E MAILS to send to friends who dont have all the fancy things. We older people dont have all the fancy things the young folks do, thanks again for keeping us in mind too

I love Zero bars and now I want one! We had these in Illinois where I grew up and I see them here in PA. I think I may have to get one when I do my grocery run this weekend. Thanks for another great cookie idea.

7. Jennifer says

I made these last night, subbing in walnuts for the peanuts. Everyone seems to really like them. I’m not a huge fan of white chocolate, but that’s okay. That’s partially why I chose to make them; I knew I wouldn’t be tempted to overeat them!

One thing I didn’t think about, using roasted, salted peanuts would have upped the amount of salt, so maybe I should have sprinkled some salt on the walnuts, when I was toasting them. Nevertheless, I think they were fine with the unsalted walnut substitution.

Thanks for trying them!! About the salt, you are right. The salt from the peanuts definitely adds to the full effect, so if you use an unsalted nut you’ll want to increase the salt in the dough.

9. Gary Ray says

My youngest brother, who was 51, recently died. He really did love Zero bars. We’re having a “going away” get together on Memorial Day weekend and I’m planning to take a case or two of Zero bars to the gathering (if I can locate enough). I love you, little brother.

Sorry to hear about your brother. Good luck finding the Zero bars! I think you won’t have any problems.