Chippy Peanut Butter Cookies

I needed an excuse to try out my new bag of Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter Chips, and Katrina gave it to me in the form of this cookie!

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies

The original recipe is from Taste of Home and was submitted by a teen cook named IAN who said he liked to modify recipes. I am not sure what he did to alter this one, but maybe it was to add extra baking soda? These cookies have a full 2 teaspoons, which seems a little on the high side, but really does something to the texture. They have lots of wrinkles, crinkles and crispy edges. Of course you do get that lingering aftertaste of baking soda which is not really unpleasant, but detectable if you know the flavor baking soda adds. The best way I can describe it is in wine terms — the cookies have kind of a long finish, where you might recognize the soda. But I doubt most people would find it noticeable and the cookies are terrific.  Sorry if that’s too much information.  The cookies are great!  I’m just mentioning it because some people are sensitive to baking soda.  Also, if you’re wondering why the cookies in this photo are slightly darker on one side, it’s because I baked them in my toaster.  My oven is now working, but not fixed.  Turns out it was a faulty bake element, but that is a long story which hasn’t quite ended.

Peanut  Butter Chippy Cookie

So back to the cookies. The only change I made to the recipe was to use a combination of semisweet chips and Trader Joe’s peanut butter chips, which I really liked.  Here’s the original recipe for Chippy Peanut Butter Cookies.

Trader Joe's

Comments

You had me at peanut butter! Yum!
    Bummer about your oven! Will you have it repaired in time for Thanksgiving?
    Crock pot Turkey? Toaster Oven stuffing? Yikes!

Kim, the bottom oven is working so I can’t complain. I think the top part will be fixed by tomorrow.

Stephanie, I’ve only tried the peanut butter chips, but I noticed the other day that TJ’s also had white chips.

3. Sue says

I’m glad your oven is at least partially usable and on it’s way to being totally fixed. It looks like you put your toaster oven to good use. I’ll click over to Katrina’s site to look at the recipe. I’ve not noticed the PB chips at Trader Joe’s. I’ll have to look next time.

4. Karen Schmidt-Dill says

I’ll be trying these, been on a peanut butter choc. chip cookie craze lately. Prefer the soft, chewy type, not the crispy kind. It is fun to read about a young person really enjoying experimenting with baking and cooking.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

5. CindyD says

I bet half peanut butter chips, half chocolate chips would be good in my favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe. Also bought some cinnamon chips to try and haven’t decided on a recipe yet….

Karen, the batch I made in the toaster oven was crispier than the batch made in the oven. Also, you could probably make them even chewier by cutting the bake time a bit. What’s strange about these is they go from being fairly pale to being really brown to the point where they appear overbaked, yet aren’t. I think the extra baking soda might cause that. So if you want them to be chewy, make sure to take them out while they’re still a little pale. They’re probably good either way.

7. Karen Schmidt-Dill says

I mixed them up and the dough is chilling. I had chunky peanut butter, then increased the vanilla to 1.5 tsp. Left out the salt. I’m using unsalted butter but I figure between the peanut butter and the soda it will be plenty salty. I put in about 1/2 cup pb chips and a whole bag of Hershey’s Special dark chips. (The dough sure tasted good.) I’ll let you know how they turned out. Thanks for the hints about the baking time and color. OH, I did use dark brown sugar instead of light also.

Thanks Karen! If you have time, let us know what you think. I’ll be interested in hearing how they are without the salt. The brown sugar was a good idea because it will probably make the cookies slightly chewier.

These look goooood. I hope you get your oven fixed soon!

I made some cookies similar to this tonight! I’m serious. I used chocolate chips, the PB TJ chips and oatmeal, but I made them cakey. I really like the TJ chips!

10. Karen Schmidt-Dill says

Well, the cookies turned out OK. They are perfectly edible, but the extra soda flavor is just a little off putting (as I sit here eating one of the cookies). They are decently chewy. I don’t notice that there isn’t any salt. You are correct though about the paleness of the cookie as it bakes and then SUDDENLY seeming like it was overbaked in a matter of seconds. I think I found 11 min. was about right. I certainly like the look of the cookies with the cracks and crevices and mounds. I would probably rate these as a 3 on scale of 1-5. The recipe said made 48 servings. I ended up with 6.5 doz. decent size cookies so I can’t imagine how big of a scoop the originals were.

Looks like they turned out great. Yes, since I didn’t taste them, the flavor of baking soda is not something my family would have noticed and told me about. ;)
    Darn oven!