|Dutch Chocolate Cupcakes with Pink Frosting |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
An easy chocolate cupcake recipe
- 2 cups cake flour (8 oz)
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large whole eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or milk mixed with a little lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons of milk (I’ve found whole works best)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Few drops of red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Mix together the flour with the cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Increase the speed to medium-high and gradually add both sugars. Beat for about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla. Using lowest speed of mixer, add flour and milk alternately.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups (about 2/3 full) and bake until the centers of the cupcakes spring back when pressed gently, about 25 minutes. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes then remove from the tin and cool completely before frosting.
- Mix the butter and powdered sugar together in bowl of a stand mixer using low speed. Add a little of the milk to soften and continue beating until mixture comes together. Add vanilla. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you get the consistency you want. Beat until light and fluffy. Add a drop or two of red food coloring.
- Frost the cupcakes then decorate with chocolate sprinkles and stemmed cherries.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/01/dutch-chocolate-cupcakes-with-pink-frosting/