Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Red Velvet Cupcake Cones
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (bleached) 11.25 oz
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder, remove lumps
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle McCormick® Red Food Color
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture on low speed (or by hand) just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full or spoon batter into 24 plain flat bottom ice cream cones – fill right to the point vanilla ice cream cones becomes wider.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. If using cones, use a skewer or knife and poke a hole in the bottom (or on the side near the bottom) of the baked cupcake cone to allow steam to escape (helps prevent a soggy cone).
- Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese, softened butter and vanilla extract in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Makes 24 to 30 cupcakes depending on method used.
- Note: To make ahead, bake and cool as directed, put cones in a freezer bag (remove any extra air from bag), freeze overnight, frost while frozen, serve a few hours later.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/02/red-velvet-cupcake-cones/