|Quick Chocolate Cupcakes with No-Powdered Sugar Vanilla Icing |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Quick Chocolate Cupcakes with a frosting that does not call for powdered sugar.
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened natural style unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted after measuring (4.5 oz)
Buttercream Frosting (I halved it and got just enough for 12 cupcakes)
- 5 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Mix together milk and lemon juice and set aside to curdle.
- Beat oil and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in
- egg, vanilla, salt, and baking soda until well blended. Beat in cocoa powder. With a large mixing spoon or rubber scraper, stir in the flour alternately with the milk until flour is absorbed.
- Divide batter equally between 12 paper-lined cupcake cups. Bake at 350
- degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack 20 minutes. Remove to platter to continue cooling.
- Whisk the flour and milk together in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it starts to thicken. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Turn into a dish and let cool.
- Beat together the butter and sugar, then beat in the cooled roux 2T. at a time. Continue to beat until frosting turns creamy rather than grainy. This takes a while – probably 6 to 10 minutes. Add vanilla and salt and mix until light and creamy. Frost immediately. You can keep the frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature before serving. I also left a few in a sealed container at room temperature overnight and they were fine.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/02/quick-chocolate-cupcakes-with-flour-type-icing/