|Angel Cupcakes With 7 Minute Icing |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Angel Cupcakes with 7 minute icing
- 1 cup cake flour (4 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (regular)
- 4 large egg whites, room temp
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 Minute Frosting
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla (you can use less or more to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Sift the cake flour, salt and baking powder together and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe measuring cup, combine milk and butter. Microwave one minute or long enough to scald milk and melt butter. You may also do this over the stove.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until foamy using an electric mixer. Add cream of tartar and continue beating on high until whites form stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the hot milk/butter mixture with the sugar and beat on low speed. Add the flour mixture and the vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Gently fold in part of the egg whites to lighten the batter, then fold in all the rest. Divide evenly among the cupcake containers filling about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake on center rack for 20 minutes.
- To make the icing, combine all ingredients except vanilla in a metal bowl set over a pan of boiling water. You want it about 2 inches from the water, but mine is almost always closer and I never have a problem. If you have one, you can just use a double boiler.
- Beat on high speed of an electric mixer for about 7 minutes or until mixture is thick and spreadable and peaks have formed. Remove from heat and beat in the vanilla.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/03/angel-cupcakes-with-7-minute-icing/