|Junior's Style Cheesecake |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
Junior’s Style Cheesecake with a graham cracker crust and a cherry topping.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 8-ounce packages cream cheese (not light), softened
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar (divided use)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 2 extra large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and generously butter a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into bottom of pan.
- Set pan on a large sheet of heavy duty foil. Bring foil and up and around the side of the pan and press it tightly into the sides to make bottom water-proof. Do this (at least) twice. Bake crust on center rack for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
- Place one 8-ounce package cream cheese, 1/3 cup of the sugar, and the cornstarch in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low until creamy, about 3 minute, then beat in the remaining 3 packages of softened cream cheese.
- Increase the mixer speed to high and beat in the sugar, then beat in the vanilla, lemon extract ( if using) and heavy cream. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, stirring only until completely blended. Over-beating the eggs contributes to cracking, so don’t beat too much air into the batter at this point.
- Spoon the cheese filling on top of the crumb layer. Set the foil-wrapped pan in a large shallow pan and add hot water so that water comes about 1 inch up the sides of the springform pan. Bake the cheesecake until the center barely jiggles when you shake the pan – 55 minutes to an hour.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack for 1-2 hours, then refrigerate until it's completely cold -- at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan and serve from pan bottom or transfer to a platter. Serve with fruit topping if desired.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2007/10/juniors-style-cheesecake/