Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 14 mins
Total time: 34 mins
Very good recipe for oatmeal scones
- 1 1/2 cups oats, old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 10 chunks
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional) or use a different add-in such as chocolate chips, dried apples, cranberries, pecans, cinnamon chips, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.Toast the oats. Spread them on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until they are fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside 2 tablespoons of oats to use as scone topping.
- Raise oven heat to 450 degrees F.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Pulse 4 times to mix. Add butter chunks to flour mixture and pulse until mixture is the size of small peas.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, cream, milk, and vanilla. Spoon out 1 tablespoon and set aside. You will use this for brushing tops.
- Add the flour mixture and the oats to cream mixture and stir until almost mixed. Add the raisins (if using) and continue mixing just until mixture comes together in a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the ball into a 7 inch circle (about 1 inch thick). With a floured knife, cut into 6 or 8 wedges, and place wedges 2 inches apart on a non-stick or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush with reserved cream mixture and sprinkle with reserved oats and if desired, some sparkling sugar and extra cinnamon. Bake 12-14 minutes (Check at 10), rotating pan halfway through.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2007/11/cinnamon-oat-scones/