Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
English Muffins with nooks and crannies
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided use)
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups of flour (9 oz)
- Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup just until it boils. Add sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and stir to dissolve. Stir in shortening and let cool to about 120 degrees F.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, combine the yeast and 1/3 cup of warm (115 degree) water. Let rest until yeast bubbles.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast mixture and milk mixture. Beat thoroughly with wooden spoon. Cover the bowl and let it rest in for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat a lidded sauté pan or skillet to 300 degrees (on my stove, it was low). A pan with non-stick surface won’t cook the bottom quite so much, but if all you have is a regular metal bottom pan, you can use that. I didn't grease either pan.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt to flour and beat thoroughly. Place metal (or homemade foil) rings onto the skillet.
- Using a heaping 1/3 cup or a little less than ½ cup measure, spoon dough into rings, cover skillet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and turn rings using spatula or tongs. Cover with the lid and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a rack. Remove rings and cool. Split with fork and serve.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/03/english-muffins/