|Peanut Butter Chunk Cookies |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 14 mins
Total time: 34 mins
Double peanut butter cookies with big chunks of chocolate and soft peanut butter candy similar to the chunks in the peanut butter cookies at Disney World
Peanut Butter Chunks:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter chips (Reese's)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup tightly packed brown sugar — (8 oz)
- 1 cup granulated sugar — (7 oz)
- 1 1/4 cups chunky or smooth peanut butter — (11 7/8 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- Make the peanut butter chunks first. Mix the peanut butter chips, peanut butter and butter in a small bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. If chips aren’t melted, heat for another 30 seconds.
- Make a small 2x5(ish) mold with foil (see photo). Pour the peanut butter mixture into the little mold and chill it for about a half hour or until firm. Unmold the peanut butter log and cut into chunks.
- Proceed with the cookie dough. Cream butter and both sugars with an electric mixer. Beat in peanut butter, then baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs one at a time, beating on a lower speed, then beat in vanilla. By hand or using lowest speed of mixer, Stir in the flour. When flour is mixed in, stir in chocolate chunks and peanut butter chips.
- Chill the dough for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using slightly less than a quarter cup measure, scoop up balls of dough and arrange on cookie sheet a few inches apart. Stick peanut butter chunks into the already-scooped dough.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until set and brown around the edges. Remove from oven and cool on pan for about 10 minutes to set. Remove from pan and set on a rack to finish cooling.
- Makes 24 big cookies
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/03/peanut-butter-chunk-cookes/