|Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream |
Author: Cookie Madness
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 300 mins
Total time: 5 hours 10 mins
Rich and Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar (scant, or a tiny bit less than 1)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 large eggs yolks
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar and salt into the egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.
- Bring the half-and-half to a simmer in a heavy medium sauce pan or in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl set over but not touching boiling water. I used a bowl set over boiling water to ensure that I wouldn't scramble the eggs.
- Slowly beat the hot half-and-half into the egg mixture. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan saucepan, double boiler or bowl set over saucepan and stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble. Remove from the heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least 2 hours.
Recipe by Cookie Madness at http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/03/homemade-vanilla-ice-cream/